User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Default A Question Regarding Classes

Well, as some of you but most definitely not a lot know, I play medic. I love medic! Ubercharge now! I am a crazed German mad scientist... so me...

But my point to this post is asking about some other classes that interest me, but I don't know a lot about.

1) Engineer: I hear they aren't useful anymore, as players got better but the sentry guns didn't? I also hear that they are really only welcomed in matches above 8v8, and are never in scrims or league play. I hear, too, that Engineers aren't welcome on defense unless they play "offensive engineer." My main question is just how useful are they anymore?

2) Heavy: Another class that I hear is completely underpowered. I hear it has nothing to counter but a lot of counters itself? I play heavy sometimes and enjoy it, but I don't want to pour hours into it if it's going to be all useless..

3) Pyro: They look so much fun! Everyone has heard the bad stuff about them... thoughts?

And just to make sure everyone understands, I am not making a bash on these classes, and I am not saying anything bad about it... I just hear this stuff and I go "Oh Noes!" so I figured I would ask you all!

Also as a side note, I just joined Edge Gamers Organization yesterday so thanks for the welcome I will look forward to ubercharging and wiping out their whole team with you all in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Penguin View Post
    Well, as some of you but most definitely not a lot know, I play medic. I love medic! Ubercharge now! I am a crazed German mad scientist... so me...

But my point to this post is asking about some other classes that interest me, but I don't know a lot about.

1) Engineer: I hear they aren't useful anymore, as players got better but the sentry guns didn't? I also hear that they are really only welcomed in matches above 8v8, and are never in scrims or league play. I hear, too, that Engineers aren't welcome on defense unless they play "offensive engineer." My main question is just how useful are they anymore?

2) Heavy: Another class that I hear is completely underpowered. I hear it has nothing to counter but a lot of counters itself? I play heavy sometimes and enjoy it, but I don't want to pour hours into it if it's going to be all useless..

3) Pyro: They look so much fun! Everyone has heard the bad stuff about them... thoughts?

And just to make sure everyone understands, I am not making a bash on these classes, and I am not saying anything bad about it... I just hear this stuff and I go "Oh Noes!" so I figured I would ask you all!

Also as a side note, I just joined Edge Gamers Organization yesterday so thanks for the welcome I will look forward to ubercharging and wiping out their whole team with you all in the future
    Well, my two most played classes are pyro and engineer, and you should probably know that I answer the questions from this perspective.

Engineer - I don't know who told you that they aren't useful as they can single handedly stop an entire team with a well placed sentry gun. Yes, if it gets plenty of kills it will get destroyed, but this makes the other team focus their attention on the sentry gun instead of the objective. And if it gets destroyed then Engie just moves on and builds a new one at another spot.

An engineer is a team player. He helps the team by slowing the other team with sentries. He speeds up his team with teleports. But he also needs a good team to help with defending the gun and giving him time to re-setup.

I don't know about league play, but I don't care that much. As far as playing offensive engineer. I often try to play offensively, but I usually see far more defensive engineers. I'm always grateful that when half our team dies there is an engie or two holding down the fort while we respawn.

AutoDMC is a good engineer to talk to for more.

Heavy - As a pyro, heavies are the most difficult class to take down. I can kill every other class with an axtinguish shot, but not the heavy. When I play medic, if I see a heavy I think "oh boy killing time." pretty much anyone who gets in front of that minigun is in trouble. This is offset by slow movement to make things fair.

The top guy in our hlstatsx plays heavy most often (I think)

TheRealMcCoy, Gortex, MedicHunter are good heavies to talk to.

Pyro - pyro is my favorite class. Yes there are plenty of pyros who constantly do suicide runs, running straight into enemies with flames ablaze and die, but take the time to learn to play pyro well and that works in your favor because people don't expect a really good pyro.

Pyro has a lot of advantages, but it takes some time (like any class) to learn to use them effectively:
    1. Air blast - this is wonderful, rockets, nades, stickies, all go away. It can separate ubers, push people off cliffs and points, get them away so you can retreat, and put them in a corner primed for a good ax-ing. You can even use the air blast to rocket jump! There is a video of it on youtube.
    2. getting sentries around a corner or on a ledge. If an engineer puts a gun just around a corner or on a ledge you can stand and burn it to the ground without getting hurt.
    3. Ubers - as a medic I love ubering pyros, and as a normal player I fear the ubered pyro. There is no escape like with the soldier, heavy and demo--the pyro is just too fast!
    4. the axtinguisher - If you can get good at it, the axtinguisher is an amazing weapon. I'm currently averaging more axtinguisher kills than flamethrower kills. I use the flamethrower more as a tool and the axe as the killing device.

Pyro is also incredibly satisfying:
    1. you see a spy getting ready to backstab a teammate. You burn him, air blast him away from the back of your teammate, and then it's axe time!
    2. You arrive late to a conflict over a point and the other team has a few guys on the point, but they have been damaged. You jump in and make short work of them.
    3. Taunt killing snipers :-)

And what isn't fun about setting people on fire.

Masterpiece is a good pyro to get more from.

I think that about covers it. Oh, and welcome to eGO! I hope you enjoy it.

If you want to know about heavy, ask some of the really good heavy players, like hex or the bestest hwguy ever I see these two guys playing heavy alot and racking up the kills...as for engi, I dont have many tips and i think that =(eGO)=™ AutoDMC [C2T] plays engi...main thing is know sentry placement and how to spy check as engi imo. Pyro, usually w+m1 but try and ask djsatan or djsatanswife they are really good at pyro. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Properly Basic View Post
    AutoDMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisky Dingo View Post
    =(eGO)= AutoDMC [C2T]
    Shush people, don't say he's a good engi... It's going to be embarassing if he has to proof that he's good at playing engineer. :p

Anyway, if the classes interest you, play them. Try them out and have fun. Engineers are fine, heavies are fine and so are pyros. You're playing on pub servers (eGO only has open public servers ) so the engineer is not useless. The heavy is scary, too. He's just not liked in competetive gaming since he's so slow. That's why most teams field two soldiers instead of a heavy and a soldier in leagues. Pyro is another class that is fun to play in pubs.
    This is a public game, it is designed to be a public game. While I like competetive TF2, that's just not how it was designed to be.
    I can't stress this enough, if you like a class, no matter how many people tell you it's a crappy/useless class, play it.

-Calle

Here is my advice:

Don't branch out. If you love medic and are a good medic, stick with it. There is no need to downgrade to a lesser class. Don't sell out to the crowd that says you need to be good with more than one class. A good medic can change the game. Trust me, play as medic and only medic.

(btw, I sorta like medic....just a little bit.)

J/K
    Last edited by !Woodstock!; 03-19-2009 at 12:07 PM.

24,400,000+ HPs Healed.

Don't listen to other people, if you like a class play it. Even if it may be "useless". You'll eventually get better at any class regardless, just put some time into it.

jaxory I NEED SOMETHING IN MY DOWNSTAIRS BATHROOM FOR WHEN I NUMBER TWO.
    ~~~~~
    Beta| and im a hippie

Props to Ballzac for the awesome avatar

Wow! So many replies! Well I am really liking Engineer now that I have sorta got the hang of it from this morning. I love playing my heavy when it's the right time. Anyway, yeah I think I like the support rolls a lot, medic, engineer...

Thanks for all the help and more people feel free to leave more comments!

There's a lot of fun to be had with heavy. You can rack up a lot of kills by just going out with a medic and killing everything that you can see in range. You may be slow, but you're fast enough to dodge rockets in narrow corridors and fast enough to zig zag enough to throw off newer snipers. The most important part of being a heavy is to spin up your gun when approaching corners, and to follow your target with your crosshair until he's dead. You can kill scouts and pyros extremely easily. I'd say heavies are a pyro counter, really. You can kill the pyro before he's killed you and have enough health to run to a medikit.

But don't stop playing medic. Us heavies need you guys .

Well im on my way out but ill give my 2 cents about these classes

1. Engy - knowing good sentry placements and using the line of sight properly can easily hold back enemies for a while. Just randomly throwing your gun down and start hitting it will result in you not getting any points

2. Heavy - one of my favorites when i get in the groove, depending on the map a good heavy+med combo is unstoppable, heavy seems like an easy class to play but you would be suprised, there are some baaaaad heavies out there, when there isnt any heavies on my team i usually play DH (designated heavy )

3 Pyro - good class to start playing the game with because it is pretty straight forward (literally) but pyro IS a class you can be good at with practice, using the airblast and axtinguisher properly can be devestating.

Heavies are powerful and especially combined with a medic, I sometimes play heavy and then massive killing sprees will come. just be careful for the snipers, they will have your head in no time (I know because usually I target the heavies first, because they are just so easy to snipe). Also turn around a lot to check for spies.

But the latest update made the minigun spread less, but untill then, the heavy alone was no competition to a good demoman.

Sandman made it also more difficult to play as a heavy but overhealing will prevent you from being killed easily then while stunned.

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast