User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vid Card

Default New Vid Card

Soo..

I've been out of gaming for awhile... like 4+ years.

I want to replace my vid card. It's a GeForce GTX 970.

There was a time when I was on "top" of what was "out there".. not anymore.

Sticking with Nvidia, what is the best bang for the buck? What card is hitting that "sweet spot"?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonD View Post
    Soo..

I've been out of gaming for awhile... like 4+ years.

I want to replace my vid card. It's a GeForce GTX 970.

There was a time when I was on "top" of what was "out there".. not anymore.

Sticking with Nvidia, what is the best bang for the buck? What card is hitting that "sweet spot"?
    GTX 1050Ti is what I have, ~100ish bucks when I bought it, great performance, great everything, really, and it plays VR, have been able to ultra every game I play at 60FPS 1080p

1660 and 1060 are also really good cards, but I don't know if they're as 'bang for your buck' as the 1050Ti is.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSL View Post
    GTX 1050Ti is what I have, ~100ish bucks when I bought it, great performance, great everything, really, and it plays VR, have been able to ultra every game I play at 60FPS 1080p

1660 and 1060 are also really good cards, but I don't know if they're as 'bang for your buck' as the 1050Ti is.
    Thanks! I'll look into them!

I don't mind spending the money, if it's worth it.. but I don't want to spend it, just to spend it.

With the mess that is Nvidia product stack at the moment. The best bang for the buck at 1080p is the 1660 Super if you are looking at the newer architect Turing.

1660 GDDR5 memory

1660 TI GDDR6 memory but slower then the Super variant at a higher cost but has more Cuda cores (GPU cores).

1660 Super GDDR6 memory, fastest memory out of the 3 versions of the 1660 for sale right now.

1660 Super Go around the $240 range while the TI version goes around the $290 range. The $50 difference does not make up for the the 5fps you might gain with the TI, hell at the $340 you could pick up a 2060 which would be a step up from the 1660 Super or TI but at that price point I would really recommend AMD's RX 5700 which is at the fps levels of the 2060 Super but at the cheaper price point of the 2060.

A bit confusing but the product stack for Nvidia and AMD look like this from low to high.
    (Newest Turing architect)
    Nvidia
    1650, 1650 Super, 1660, 1660 Super, 1660 TI, 2060, 2060 Super, 2070, 2070 Super, 2080, 2080 Super, 2080 TI, Titan
    AMD
    RX 570, RX580, RX590, RX 5700, RX 5700 XT
    Last edited by ChocolateVillain; 12-12-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
    Same reason you leave wadded up tissues around your room...

Soo... I went with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6

And.. OMG.. what a difference.

I was getting (on new CoD), about a 1:3 death ratio (closer to 1:4).. just dying left and right.

I played a few games, and every game I had a positive KD ratio.

Huge difference

Quote Originally Posted by DragonD View Post
    Soo... I went with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6

And.. OMG.. what a difference.

I was getting (on new CoD), about a 1:3 death ratio (closer to 1:4).. just dying left and right.

I played a few games, and every game I had a positive KD ratio.

Huge difference
    Wicked choice! you'll be set for a long time. Enjoy it

like ddragon got,rtx 2070 super, is the best bang for your buck but still 500 bucks ):
    MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

I have an RTX 2060 and i like it, affordable but still higher quality, and not overkill
    WHO?

Quote Originally Posted by Architect of Life View Post
    @DragonD what is your CPU, by the way?
    It's all old.

I built it back around this time in 2014.. so 5 years old. Which in gaming world, is old.

I use to do a total rebuild every 4 years. And when that build was 2 years old, I would replace the vid card and add more RAM.

But.. for those few who remember me, I walked away from gaming back in 2015. Took a few years off to get my life and marriage back on track.. which happy to say it is. We actually renewed our vows back in 2017..

Anyways.. my current rig is:

The motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H

The CPU is an i5-4690K.

The MB can handle an i7. I remember a lot of debate about the i5's vs i7's, which had just came out. So, I COULD put in an i7, with minimum cost/hassle. But would it be worth it??

Id rather not do a complete build.. but if I have to.. I have to.

At least my case looks good

It's a one of a kind, which I did myself

Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast