User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Hey Grumpy - Extenders generally take your existing WiFi signal and just "repeat" it. The issue with this is that most of the hardware isn't very good and you lost AT LEAST 50% of your speed with it. It's not the best solution for trying to do anything even remotely demanding on.

    The best option for better coverage is multiple access points - the downside (per say) is you need to wire them back to your router and you will have excellent speed and coverage.

    I highly suggest avoiding "extenders" and "mesh" setups if you are trying to get a decent speed.
    Okay so I’m in the attic right? WiFi connection up there is already spotty but we recently got 5G in the house but my extender is only 2.4 and can’t hold 5G. Yes I’ll be losing at least 100 down but it’s still 10 times better than what I have now

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Kitten View Post
    Okay so I’m in the attic right? WiFi connection up there is already spotty but we recently got 5G in the house but my extender is only 2.4 and can’t hold 5G. Yes I’ll be losing at least 100 down but it’s still 10 times better than what I have now
    Repeating 5Ghz is difficult because it really only does work at a shorter range - 2.4Ghz is what will actually cover a good distance. I'd suggest trying to move your router to a more central location that can cover the house better for everyone, or trying to get an ethernet connection up there - it can be a lot easier than you'd expect. If you happen to have coax connections up there or close by, you can use MOCA adapters as well - these convert coax to ethernet and let you reach other places in the house without having to run more cabling. @pillar this could be a good option for you too, to get a second access point up.

  3. #13

    Default

    Get a 150' LAN thats what I did when I lived with my mom.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Repeating 5Ghz is difficult because it really only does work at a shorter range - 2.4Ghz is what will actually cover a good distance. I'd suggest trying to move your router to a more central location that can cover the house better for everyone, or trying to get an ethernet connection up there - it can be a lot easier than you'd expect. If you happen to have coax connections up there or close by, you can use MOCA adapters as well - these convert coax to ethernet and let you reach other places in the house without having to run more cabling. @pillar this could be a good option for you too, to get a second access point up.
    @Simon Is there still an extender that would give me better than 2.4?

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Kitten View Post
    @Simon Is there still an extender that would give me better than 2.4?
    Wifi only operates on 2.4 and 5Ghz. Like I said, performance varies too much and I’ve honestly yet to find any repeater that does even a half decent job and is at all consistent. Especially if you’re doing any kind of gaming.

    I really, really recommend not touching extenders or repeaters. It's really money thrown to the wind. Do you have coax near your router and in your room? MOCA is a great option... worth the money over the others.

    Cannot stress enough how much most consumer networking products really, really suck.
    Last edited by Simon; 12-06-2019 at 09:25 PM.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Kitten View Post
    Okay so I’m in the attic right?
    I'm going to go ahead and try not to derail this great discussion and ask something personal.

    Why do you live in an attic?
    Is that common now for people to live in an attic?
    Did I misunderstand or misread that? Do you mean the router is in the attic?
    So many questions, so little attention span..SQUIRREL!
    I post on this forum maybe once a month, once every two months.

    Please do not leave me a private message as I simply do not care. The only exceptions are USCG Hammer and Artimus because they are the only two people I respect.

  7. #17

    Default

    Hey @Simon, sorry about the delay in replying as I just got off an over 55 hour work week. Anyways, so I had never really heard of an access point so went onto Newegg to check their stuff out.

    So while I appreciate all the advice, my budget needs to stay at a max of $50. Therefore, unless someone can find me a better quality router than this, I will go ahead & order it: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1683370...-486-_-Product
    Love & Death
    Between Here & Lost
    In Stores Now!!

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/avoice217
    http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/sho...ght=srtest.com

    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5369689
    Intel i5-3570k
    4x4gb DDR3 1600
    Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD
    eVGA GeForce GTX 670
    Corsair 650w PSU

    deja: Sorry, Taso, we dont want your Girl Scout cookies.
    Tasolth: Good, cause I dont have any.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pillar View Post
    Hey @Simon, sorry about the delay in replying as I just got off an over 55 hour work week. Anyways, so I had never really heard of an access point so went onto Newegg to check their stuff out.

    So while I appreciate all the advice, my budget needs to stay at a max of $50. Therefore, unless someone can find me a better quality router than this, I will go ahead & order it: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1683370...-486-_-Product
    All good man! I understand budget constraints. Hopefully it can resolve some of your issues - if I recall you've been battling range/speed for a while now? Hope this can improve things a little.

  9. #19

    Default

    Yes mainly range, but of course speed comes with the range.
    Love & Death
    Between Here & Lost
    In Stores Now!!

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/avoice217
    http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/sho...ght=srtest.com

    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5369689
    Intel i5-3570k
    4x4gb DDR3 1600
    Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD
    eVGA GeForce GTX 670
    Corsair 650w PSU

    deja: Sorry, Taso, we dont want your Girl Scout cookies.
    Tasolth: Good, cause I dont have any.

  10. #20

    Default

    Hey all I wanted to give a little update as Newegg just put this little guy on sale: https://www.newegg.com/tenda-ac15-ie...33555059-S2A4A

    I was wondering if I should wait til the new year to possibly waiting for a better deal to come around.
    Love & Death
    Between Here & Lost
    In Stores Now!!

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/avoice217
    http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/sho...ght=srtest.com

    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5369689
    Intel i5-3570k
    4x4gb DDR3 1600
    Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD
    eVGA GeForce GTX 670
    Corsair 650w PSU

    deja: Sorry, Taso, we dont want your Girl Scout cookies.
    Tasolth: Good, cause I dont have any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •