User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm bad at this

Lightbulb I'm bad at this

Hey guys !!

2018 right !! Happy new year to everyone !!

2018 = New PC

You guys would be awesome if you could help me out with the Rig I need to buy myself to play lets say... the new Bad Company 3 that's going to come out soon

Something that would last me 10 years at least !
    If you guys could also try to do a crsecendo in the prices so I can look at my options money wise?
    IF POSSIBLE can it be a laptop?

Love you all,
    Ledzo
    Dislikes Meowcenaries disliked this post

have any questions about becoming a real doctor? PM me !

It's sometimes easier to start with an initial idea of how much you want to spend. Also I assume buying in France, right?

I also hope that means you'll be playing with us more again!

Do you have any preferences? AMD/Intel/Nvidia. Do you already own a monitor, etc

If you want to have it for a long time, looking at a steeper budget. But it will be worth it! Give you lots of options to not be disappointed

I have no preferences
    I don't own a good monitor anymore
    Budget wise i don't really know... give me choices

Thanks Simon, I hope I'll be getting back into competitive TF2 and maybe be able to play the 2019 Battlefield 2

If you were to go "all out" per say, I've thrown together a little AMD build here. You can change the case and get a monitor/mouse/keyboard to your preference, but the base idea is there. The new AMD processors seem to be killing it and are at a really good price. A good option for gaming, overall.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/GQFMPs

I stole this list from @Snipeye and modified it to an i5 - an i7 would be overkill for you, by far, as the features it has are nothing games will ever take advantage of (or will for an extremely long time). This would be another "high end" build, by far.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/vfY72R

Key things to both these builds would be that you'll see M.2 SSD's in there - these connect straight onto the motherboard and are an extremely fast storage solution, at the very least for your OS and a few games. This build had a second SSD as well, and honestly these days with so many games being huge file sizes, it's sort of nice to have more than one fast drive. Add on a regular HDD for all your other stuff and you're set.

Another part of that Intel build is an aftermarket cooler, this one being water cooled for the CPU. You can substitute this out with a regular fan cooler - I like the Cooler Master Hyper212. Proven to work well. If you aren't overclocking, it's a great option.

Now, let's get to more of a budget minded build..

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/xPbDr7

I think this one might fill the sweet spot for a long time. Fairly good parts, the big difference here being your video card. The 1050 TI isn't anything to laugh at though and comes at a good price point. This would probably be the only part you would want to upgrade down the line. Once again I've left the peripheral options up to you on that one.

One thing to note for both the builds I set up there - I did 4x4GB for 16GB of RAM. This is a preference of mine. Not much maxes out your system that fast unless you're doing a lot of rendering in After Effects or run Solidworks 24/7. If you feel you want to upgrade to 32GB, make it 2x8GB sticks instead, leaving the option. I personally just like to fill all RAM slots.

Let me know what you're thinking buddy! I have a feeling some others like @Snipeye will probably chip in, he likes to roam this section a lot. Unfortunately I don't have any monitor recommendations, I'm still rocking some older ones for now.

Thanks alot good Simon!

What is a HDD?
    Concerning the RAM, i didnt get it, but Im probably not going to work with Solidworks ever in my life

Can these fit in a laptop ? What are the main downsides of a laptop if i want a gaming pc?

again thank you simon

Quote Originally Posted by Ledzo View Post
    Thanks alot good Simon!

What is a HDD?
    Concerning the RAM, i didnt get it, but Im probably not going to work with Solidworks ever in my life

Can these fit in a laptop ? What are the main downsides of a laptop if i want a gaming pc?

again thank you simon
    HDD is usually a conventional spinning hard drive. Cheap, and lots of space, but typically much slower speeds.

None of these will fit in a laptop unfortunately. Building a laptop isn't quite an option. The downside of a laptop is generally cost for sure, and you cannot upgrade them later on. Upside would be that it's portable haha. If you want to game and be able to upgrade and keep up with the times, I definitely suggest building your own rig with these kinds of parts. You'll get the most out of it. However if you would rather a laptop we can definitely explore other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I stole this list from @Snipeye and modified it to an i5 - an i7 would be overkill for you, by far, as the features it has are nothing games will ever take advantage of (or will for an extremely long time). This would be another "high end" build, by far.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/vfY72R

Let me know what you're thinking buddy! I have a feeling some others like @Snipeye will probably chip in, he likes to roam this section a lot. Unfortunately I don't have any monitor recommendations, I'm still rocking some older ones for now.
    How well you know me! Ledzo, there are two important things you must figure out and tell us. 1) What is the purpose of the computer? 2) What is your budget. Knowing what the computer will be used for will help builders like Simon and I to piece together the parts that makes the most sense. The budget will tell us how much working room we have. Now an important qualification I need to make is that you will most likely NOT get a computer that will last you at least 10 years. Not unless you plan to downgrade its usefulness to something besides gaming as the reality is most personal desktop computers will last about FIVE years before they're either fully replaced, or parts are upgraded. I am currently typing on a desktop that is roughly 8 years old; this was a mid-upper build originally around 2009/2010 with a few parts upgraded a few years later (Solid State Drive for Operating System (OS)/Geforce 560Ti installed to replace aging a 200-series GPU from nVidia). If you want a desktop that will reasonably last as long as mine did, you will need to be willing to pay more up front to get more use out of it over a longer term. Budget builds will last between 3-5 years, but you will definitely want to upgrade as games alone will get to a point where your computer cannot keep up (like mine is!)

Another thing to keep in mind with the build as Simon hinted at: If you need a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headset, Operating System, all that stuff needs to be known up-front so we can include those costs within your budget. The build that Simon reference is one that I'm trying to keep within a certain budget (cheaper is better, but not at the sake of quality); and my primary use is Photo/Video Editing and Gaming/Streaming secondary. So the build that I have would get better use out of an i7/GTX 1080 combo with three storage drives (which are somewhat overkill, but hey, I may as well do it now the way I want it: M.2/SSD/HDD). A pure gaming PC you can get a smaller OS drive that could be an M.2 or SSD, and a larger hard drive for game files instead of my "slightly" ridiculous composition of a 256GB M.2 drive + 512GB SSD + 4TB HDD for my storage purposes...

And like Simon said, I'll be keeping an eye on this, if only to critique Simon's recommendations to you.

Thanks snipe for coming on this thread :
    Reason : gaming + livestream
    Budget : Lets try to stay around 1000€ ( the budget build was already at 1200€ :o )

<3

Will you also need the following?

Monitor
    Operating System
    Keyboard
    Mice
    Speakers
    Headset

Monitor yes
    Operating system I guess
    Mouse and keyboard we'll see later
    Speakers why not
    Headset why not

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast