User Tag List

Default Network Card Help(Ethernet for desktop)

Been having an issue randomly for about a year now, by that it has really only happened like 6-7 times over the course of a year. After talking to support I think I have narrowed it down to my network card.

What I know:

-My internet speed will suddenly drop to 1.3 mb/s down, this seems to happen more often after excessive use/leaving computer on

-ISP support states when the issue occurs my network card only shows 10 mbps/s compatibility.

-Restarting the router/modem does not fix the problem, however restarting my computer does. (testing on other devices shows normal connection speeds of 180 mpb/s down)

-On the router the light turns orange from green when this happens

-Rarely the speed will drop to 1mpb/s or lower allowing me to go to youtube or google but nowhere else

So if anyone has knowledge of network cards, is my card failing? is my driver bad? any help would be appreciated.
    "Non sibi sed patriae"
    "I don't have excuses, I have reasons"

There's a setting in Windows for negotiating the link speed between your router and the card. It's typically set to "auto negotiate", which should garner fine speeds. Why it would be changing rapidly, great question.. but you can force it.

If your router/switch supports gigabit, you can set it to that. I will shamelessly steal some images off the internet, but give this a shot:

Head to your network connections (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections). It looks like this:

Right click on your wired connections and hit "Properties". Once you're in there, press "Configure"

Click the Advanced tab and set the Ethernet card Speed & Duplex settings to either 100Mb/s full duplex or 1.0Gbps full duplex (this is, if you have a gigabit router. It's 2019 so you likely do).

Give this a try. It sure sounds like it's changing on it's own, which is quite odd and frustrating, but you may be able to fix it doing this.

Let me know the results.
    Last edited by Simon; 05-19-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Thanks Too_Tall thanked for this post
    Likes Snipeye liked this post

Bump.

@Simon went through a lot of effort to type that post and spent time trying to help.

Is your problem resolved? Closure is the least bit of gesture you can provide.
    The Extremist

Sorry was sick this week, like I said the issue is random. I have adjusted my network card as recommended and will respond in a few weeks if I either experience it again or do not. Thank you for the help and it was set to auto so now that it is forced to 100mpb hopefully that resolves it.
    "Non sibi sed patriae"

@Simon Nevermind just read and saw the or 1.0 Gbps as an option
    Last edited by Too_Tall; 05-26-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Re-read post, already answered
    "Non sibi sed patriae"

@Simon So far so good, no issues since. Seems to have done the job, thank you for your help.
    "Non sibi sed patriae"