User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

I agree but with new rules etc....people are leaving, sad

Quote Originally Posted by renegade9182 View Post

1. Our server that we love is starting to die a little bit day by day i believe because a lot of people who play here seem to believe ego has "hackers" on its server, and decides not to do anything about it, so since it seems to be a reoccurring issue in their eyes they choose not to play on the server and take their gaming elsewhere.
    Yes, there are a lot of inexperienced players calling veterans like "Player/Cubey" a hacker. They get frustrated and mad that he isn't banned and probably do not come back.

Also yes, players leave when they start losing. It disappoints me that these players give up so easily, rather than trying to consider every possible strategy available to deal with the current "losing" situation. It's not always about skill with the mouse(aiming). Of course mouse aim is incredibly important. Anyways, it's often just about using your head and common sense. Which is why, if the community could really promote better play and teaching, that could always help and sustain players. This is outside the realm of what we ask admins to do. I'm just saying this for people who play, consider being positive and helpful. If you stay silent and let the inexperienced people befuddle themselves and lose repeatedly, its not in their favor anymore to keep playing on the server. And for your sake, you WANT them to stay so you can keep playing TOO.

A lot of people do not know of the medic command or how to bind it to a key.
    Some don't know about dropping ammo.
    etc, etc, etc
    But they ought to know, and learning stuff engages the player. And feeling engaged is what video games are about.
    Most people(emphasis on most) want to get on a server, feel engaged with their team and feel significant and finish with a meaningful and earned experience.
    They do NOT want to just hop on the server, talk to no one, fail at the game, lose a bunch, and then log off. Because that is sad.
    Likes Simon, Boyle liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Greedo View Post
    Yes, there are a lot of inexperienced players calling veterans like "Player/Cubey" a hacker. They get frustrated and mad that he isn't banned and probably do not come back.

Also yes, players leave when they start losing. It disappoints me that these players give up so easily, rather than trying to consider every possible strategy available to deal with the current "losing" situation. It's not always about skill with the mouse(aiming). Of course mouse aim is incredibly important. Anyways, it's often just about using your head and common sense. Which is why, if the community could really promote better play and teaching, that could always help and sustain players. This is outside the realm of what we ask admins to do. I'm just saying this for people who play, consider being positive and helpful. If you stay silent and let the inexperienced people befuddle themselves and lose repeatedly, its not in their favor anymore to keep playing on the server. And for your sake, you WANT them to stay so you can keep playing TOO.

A lot of people do not know of the medic command or how to bind it to a key.
    Some don't know about dropping ammo.
    etc, etc, etc
    But they ought to know, and learning stuff engages the player. And feeling engaged is what video games are about.
    Most people(emphasis on most) want to get on a server, feel engaged with their team and feel significant and finish with a meaningful and earned experience.
    They do NOT want to just hop on the server, talk to no one, fail at the game, lose a bunch, and then log off. Because that is sad.
    This is where you educate them and tell them how Cubey normally plays and then they start killing him which helps them to feel better Just saying there are two sides to the coin, basically once you know where he's always going to be, they tend to catch on fairly quickly with a little help.

I haven't been able to play based on moving house, having my mother here, and a serious of other things that all have come after another. Hopefully after may things will be calmed enough I can sit down a bit, I have popped on now an again and no one is around.
    Likes Simon liked this post

People need to buck up and put their big-boy pants on. Playing against someone like Player is both challenging and fun, challenging to find new strategies to kill him and awesome for your score. Killing people better than you is worth points and getting killed by them only takes a couple points from you. On this server getting killed by some rando who just joined is far worse than getting killed by Player. I've been +100 over on kills before and still been down points because when good players aren't on, kills aren't worth much and everyone takes from you. I'd rather play against Player or other good players any day.

We've had countless ban requests on Player, none of the evidence pointed to them being a hacker.
    Likes Boyle liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    We've had countless ban requests on Player, none of the evidence pointed to them being a hacker.
    Most of the regulars know that. It’s new people who don’t know the old comp players, then start the hackusations
    Likes Adorable Miracle, Boyle liked this post

I'm a POS. I love playing DOD- it's the only game that really, really gets my juices flowing, but I haven't been around much... Combination of work and taking classes at night trying to scrounge together a second degree. I'm going to start getting back into it for the good of mankind.

As for Renegade's comments about teamstacking, I don't think he's too far off track. I actively join the losing team always because I like to feel the heat, but that's just me... I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to add a team-scrambing plugin that could be triggered by majority vote and/or when a single team has won 6-7 consecutive rounds. Not so extreme that we're constantly auto-balancing, but offset enough that it would happen when really needed.

As for hackers... We do our best and we get the majority of them. Honestly the game is so old that whatever hacks are still floating around are usually picked up by smac. The wallers can be hard to spot but it's also on the players to reach out to us when there's a problem so we can do our job. Maybe throw a few more auto reminders in chat that admins can be reached directly in our teamspeak/discord and put a link to it front and center in the motd... the & msg isn't entirely as effective anymore; if there aren't admins in ava then there most likely aren't any in the other servers.

Nonetheless, this is a good conversation to have. Constructive criticism, recommendations, and ideas are the best way to get the ball rolling again!
    THERE ARE HOLES IN MY BELTS... WHO PUT THESE HOLES IN MY BELTS????!!!!!

The game is getting old and its been quite some time since steam released a new version of DOD:S.... I mean I am 32 and I've been playing DOD since I was 13 lol. Before it was even on a Source engine..... ohhhhh the good ol' times when I used to kick Artimus's butt. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MacDj View Post
    The game is getting old and its been quite some time since steam released a new version of DOD:S.... I mean I am 32 and I've been playing DOD since I was 13 lol. Before it was even on a Source engine..... ohhhhh the good ol' times when I used to kick Artimus's butt. :-)
    You kicked my butt a few times too you "old" man

Oddly enough, there are still servers for 1.3, and I've find myself playing it once and a while as well to just get a taste of the old days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2