User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

I'll be posting a super short comment here:
    How about creating and adding some dungeons of different levels that would restart itself every so many hours? Adding different ways or types to obtain enchantments for armor sets, which they could get as loot from the dungeons and/or buy in shops with "parts" of an item (like 40 special sort of diamonds for a "Insert cool named weapon"). Depending on their armor and weapons they can either try to solo it or go in as a party, and it's something out of pvp if people just don't feel like it that day.
    Thanks AdvisorTea thanked for this post

Hello all!

So, just to throw this out there: Many of us older admins have lives and responsibilities outside of MineCraft, which precludes us from being on constantly to help seed the server.

I just recently got my Minecraft to stop crashing when I start it up, and work takes 8hrs per day. I'm on when I have not been pulled into family chores, etc.

All this being said: Myself and Jade are on right now (2pm Texas time)...and we are all alone. If you are concerned about server population, and are free...perhaps show up in the server?
    Likes Division LeaderJade liked this post

Maserati: TS is UP, UP, DOWN DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, START!

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
    ---George S. Patton

ITS A GUNDAM!!! -- The grunts who go on to live long and fulfilled lives in the Gundam franchise....

Quote Originally Posted by MacArther View Post
    Hello all!

So, just to throw this out there: Many of us older admins have lives and responsibilities outside of MineCraft, which precludes us from being on constantly to help seed the server.

I just recently got my Minecraft to stop crashing when I start it up, and work takes 8hrs per day. I'm on when I have not been pulled into family chores, etc.

All this being said: Myself and Jade are on right now (2pm Texas time)...and we are all alone. If you are concerned about server population, and are free...perhaps show up in the server?
    Just wanted to throw this into the mix here... seeding only works so well. People need to actually be playing to maintain a population. Just for an example, my girlfriend was playing our server for a bit. She found that even though 5-6 people were online, they were all AFK for hours, and didn't find it enjoyable that the reality was the server was dead. Therefore she went to play elsewhere after a few weeks of trying to play our server.

Just some brief thoughts. I really enjoyed having the option to participate in player vs player arenas as well as mob arenas back in the day but I understand that they can be troublesome. I also fancy a more detailed shop but recognize why players are only able to sell bedrock and accept this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just wanted to throw this into the mix here... seeding only works so well. People need to actually be playing to maintain a population. Just for an example, my girlfriend was playing our server for a bit. She found that even though 5-6 people were online, they were all AFK for hours, and didn't find it enjoyable that the reality was the server was dead. Therefore she went to play elsewhere after a few weeks of trying to play our server.
    Again: I've been in server active since 2pm today with Jade....only 2 people have joined back and forth.
    Maserati: TS is UP, UP, DOWN DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, START!

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
    ---George S. Patton

ITS A GUNDAM!!! -- The grunts who go on to live long and fulfilled lives in the Gundam franchise....

Quote Originally Posted by MacArther View Post
    Again: I've been in server active since 2pm today with Jade....only 2 people have joined back and forth.
    I get that, just trying to make the point that commonly people seed the server, give it a decent player count when we try to make this push to save servers, but then no one is playing.

We get the everyone has a life thing, all of us do. But this server has been dormant for a long time with very few spurts of activity for select periods of time.
    Last edited by Simon; 03-03-2019 at 07:51 PM.

I've seen this happen with TF2 too in sadly in regards to seeding. It's a little disheartening joining a server with maybe 2,3, 4? ppl but they're just there seeding not playing. I think I should be around Tuesday this week I'll make an effort to jump in for a bit and mess around in the server, its been a bit since i've gone into MC.

Thank you all for your ideas, we are reading and discussing things we can do to improve the quality of the server, i will attempt to keep everyone informed as much as possible to the things we are discussing and what we can all do moving forward, as well as the obstacles that we face. Please keep ideas coming in.
    Thanks AdvisorTea thanked for this post

Been a while since I've been on the server; like CrossCheck and MacArther, I've seen decisions made over time that have driven players from the server, in addition to people's lives outside of eGO getting in the way (like myself). Most of the folks I started playing MC with moved on to other games, other gaming communities, or life dragged them away for one reason or another. I like Minecraft a lot and have met many great people on our servers and TS over time from it.

Minecraft is a sandbox game; it has many facets that can attract players; here's a few:
    Community - events, PVP, group building, etc.; a big one is just having fun with people we already know
    Legacy/status - people like to build cool things to show off; this can be divided into creative mode or grinding for resources. We've built Hogwarts, several malls, a block of skyscrapers, and plenty of other cool things over the years from giant statues to underwater dome houses.
    Economy - some people love wheeling and dealing; greed in a game based around items and looting isn't exactly far-fetched after all
    Redstone - some folks love to invent mechanisms and innovate in automated farms, doors, elevators, lighting systems, etc.; it's just fun, especially for folks in IT
    Exploration - some people just like to explore the maps and enjoy seeing what others have created

Our server must attract people based on each of these categories and more, while maintaining that sense of community enough to retain players. Retention is where I think we have trouble; it's a sandbox game, so people get bored.

Activity in our Minecraft servers has always been cyclical to me, outside of a few people crazy enough to play it 24/7 who have time to do so (I used to be one of these folks when I was in college); when a new map is created or new content is released (and for a while afterwards as word spreads), we get more people.

Minecraft started in the strategy division where people grew a server from attracting players from other divisions, like myself and others from the old COD division for instance. It grew enough where it became its own division and players churned over time; we don't have many people who have played consistently for a long period of time.

To keep interest from new players, both within eGO and without, we need to maintain multiple worlds. The system I remember working well was having an eternal creative world, a survival world that gets reset once in a while, an event world for indestructible arenas maintained by the events team, and a mine world. This may not align with how people play Minecraft anymore with the addition of realms and a heavy modding community.

I think having a world for people to store and preserve their resources they spent time grinding that is distinct from a creative world might keep people invested in our server but it won't retain their attention as they get bored. A home world, so to speak. Picture the plot world we had when I was last playing, except not creative mode.

To combat boredom, I suggest a regularly (maybe weekly or monthly) rotating world, like our mine worlds, except allowing players to build at will there for farming, mob grinders, etc. We could have several of these if we wanted to, one with PVP enabled and one with PVP disabled for instance. This ensures we always have the latest release's content to attract old and new players alike.

Just my 2c; apologies for the wall of text, especially since I've been so busy with life that I haven't been able to help seed, admin, help with events, or any of the other things I used to do.
    Thanks CrossCheck thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast