User Tag List

Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 364656 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    *snip*
    Oh boy you actually added Domestic Kanojo you brave soul.

The animation in the previews actually look rather well done, but I just have this feeling it's going to turn into another Citrus type of deal. It seems those types of stories are rather difficult to adapt well. Might be because of the station it airs on, audience they try to target, or some other reason. Citrus and Domestic Kanojo are both definitely aimed at the seinen demographic (seeing as they are in seinen magazines) so seeing them produce the show with the "shounen" demographic sort of limits what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by _MEGA View Post
    Oh boy you actually added Domestic Kanojo you brave soul.

The animation in the previews actually look rather well done, but I just have this feeling it's going to turn into another Citrus type of deal. It seems those types of stories are rather difficult to adapt well. Might be because of the station it airs on, audience they try to target, or some other reason. Citrus and Domestic Kanojo are both definitely aimed at the seinen demographic (seeing as they are in seinen magazines) so seeing them produce the show with the "shounen" demographic sort of limits what they can do.
    I'm living on the edge MEGA! It's a new me!

.... Although I'm ready to drop any of these in a heartbeat and continue to watch things I should have watched 6 years ago.

i am watching tokyo ghoul and elfen lied these days and i must say that i am literally hooked to them. I have finals coming up right after the new year but i just can't focus on them at all. The characters, storyline and sountracks have all got me hooked to it. Both these anime are an absolute masterpiece. Highly recommended for anyone who is an anime fan
    Amazed by ken kaneki mask after watching tokyo ghoul

Boogiepop is definitely VERY interesting so far. I had not seen the original or the novels, so it's all new to me. 2 episodes out this week, I'm not entirely sure what the show wants to be yet, or what the tone/mood they fully want to set. The first episode was a bit disjointed, but a bit better the second. So we will see where this one goes.

Apparently the reason they released two episodes at the start is because of their storytelling choice. Each episode alone is supposed to be "disjointed" and not really make much sense on its own, but together with the other episodes everything slowly starts to come together. According to their twitter, it seems like each episode is to focus on a "theme" (topic maybe?). They used the character 物 which literally just means "thing". So episode 1 seemed to be more focused on Boogiepop, episode 2 seemed to be focused on our antagonist(s), and a later episode may focus on their connect, another episode may focus on a cat and mouse between them, or who knows. I think this type of storytelling works pretty well for a mystery show. If this were any other series without such a heavy commitment to try and be a mystery, I doubt this would work. Will have to wait and see, but I am really enjoyed it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by _MEGA View Post
    Apparently the reason they released two episodes at the start is because of their storytelling choice. Each episode alone is supposed to be "disjointed" and not really make much sense on its own, but together with the other episodes everything slowly starts to come together. According to their twitter, it seems like each episode is to focus on a "theme" (topic maybe?). They used the character 物 which literally just means "thing". So episode 1 seemed to be more focused on Boogiepop, episode 2 seemed to be focused on our antagonist(s), and a later episode may focus on their connect, another episode may focus on a cat and mouse between them, or who knows. I think this type of storytelling works pretty well for a mystery show. If this were any other series without such a heavy commitment to try and be a mystery, I doubt this would work. Will have to wait and see, but I am really enjoyed it so far.
    Definitely enjoying it too, so far. I've liked the art, the sound. It's creepy enough too. Looking forward to seeing what the rest will offer us!

Looks like most other stuff on my list airs this week... we will have to see what we get for seasonals.
    Likes AdvisorRyo5678 liked this post

I was concerned for nothing. Yakusoku no Neverland had a fantastic first episode. Easily going to be one of the strongest shows this season.

@_MEGA You'll be happy to know Domestic Girlfriend was removed from my list very quickly after the episode aired and I saw a few comments. Red flags all over! I removed Kaguya-sama: Love Is War as well.

I don't have Revisions on the list still, going to wait for Netflix to make it available here. I didn't realize how much it was 3D/CGI... but I'm hearing good things.

This is my first time really watching more than one seasonal anime. But there seems to be a lot of good titles so far. I'll toss a few synopsis in here for people who may not know the shows and read this...

So where is my list at now?

Boogiepop and Others is my first time really watching a "horror" anime. And so far, it's delivering. I think it's the right level of creepy and I'm fascinated by the story so far. The first episode was a bit rocky but, it's come through for me since. I'm hoping it continues well.

There is an urban legend that children tell one another about a shinigami that can release people from the pain they may be suffering. This "Angel of Death" has a name—Boogiepop. And the legends are true. Boogiepop is real.

The Promised Neverland blew me away in just one episode already. I really hope this one continues on the path it is going, because it delivered on all fronts. I think this was the most highly anticipated show and I can see why! If anyone has not picked up anything yet, this seems to be the stand out one. Oh and I love the OP.

Emma, Norman and Ray are the brightest kids at the Grace Field House orphanage. And under the care of the woman they refer to as “Mom,” all the kids have enjoyed a comfortable life. Good food, clean clothes and the perfect environment to learn—what more could an orphan ask for? One day, though, Emma and Norman uncover the dark truth of the outside world they are forbidden from seeing.

Dororo was one I forgot I added to my list. The first episode was really cool and I love the animation. The premise is super intriguing and the fight scenes in the first episode were awesome. I think this one took a few people by surprise too, seems to be the consensus across the board on a few sites.

Dororo, a young orphan thief, falls into the company of Hyakkimaru, a powerful demon-hunting Rounin. Before Hyakkimaru's birth his father, a greedy feudal lord, made a pact with 12 demons and let them each take a piece of his unborn son's body, in return for granting him great power. Hyakkimaru was born without arms, legs, eyes, ears, a nose or mouth, a barely human creature, and his father had him thrown in the river. He was rescued and raised by Dr. Honma, who made him artificial limbs and helped him learn to fight the demons - each time he defeats one he reclaims one piece of his body. Now he and Dororo travel together through the war-torn countryside.

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka came into my list too. It's got a fairly interesting concept (nothing we haven't seen before really so far, but the first episode played out fairly well for me). It's gotten a bit of a "meh" presence from most people, but I'm interested enough to keep sticking out a few episodes.

When the Earth is threatened by the sudden appearance of undead creatures, a group of young women blessed with powers from a mysterious source rose to defeat them. Now, after three years of apparent peace, the same malevolent creatures have resurfaced. Five magical girls are once again conscripted to war as the Magical Girl Special-Ops force, to defend mankind from an unholy nemesis.

The Rising of the Shield Hero I don't know that I'm entirely sold on yet. Although it wasn't bad for a first episode, I'm not 100% sure it will continue to contain my interest. So we will see where that goes..

Naofumi Iwatani, an uncharismatic Otaku who spends his days on games and manga, suddenly finds himself summoned to a parallel universe! He discovers he is one of four heroes equipped with legendary weapons and tasked with saving the world from its prophesied destruction. As the Shield Hero, the weakest of the heroes, all is not as it seems. Naofumi is soon alone, penniless, and betrayed. With no one to turn to, and nowhere to run, he is left with only his shield. Now, Naofumi must rise to become the legendary Shield Hero and save the world!
    Other anime I'm watching that are not seasonal!

I picked up Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood again. I've watched the 2003 multiple times and started this one a while ago, but paused it for a while. Now giving it another shot to finish it. It seems much less dark and serious than 2003, but not in a bad way at all. Bit more fun.

Still almost done Bleach after 10 years..

And the anime I picked up a bit late but blew me away...

Bloom Into You blew me away. I've never gotten into romance much, but can't even really call it a romance. It was one of the best written, best played out coming of age stories and trying to understand feelings and growing up. Even at almost 24 years old it hit me with some feelings I haven't felt in a long time. I think it's a must watch for anyone into any level of romance.

Yuu has always dreamt of receiving a love confession but feels nothing when a boy gives her one. Confused, she starts her first year of high school and meets the beautiful Nanami, who makes her heart skip a beat.
    If you read the post this far, you're a great person. Anyone else have any thoughts on shows they're starting up?
    Last edited by Simon; 01-12-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Simon you should at least watch it and formulate an opinion for yourself! My comment was more that you would probably be getting into something that might turn into a guilty pleasure more than anything.

Also if you like Dororo, you should check out the original creator, Tezuka Osamu. He's sort of one of those guys that started to bring a lot of modern changes to manga and anime. Could be a fun little read. I first read a manga by him called Black Jack maybe 5 or so years ago and started to look into some other things he did and wow. He did a ton of stuff. I never read the Dororo manga, and I saw on MAL there's a series from like 30+ years ago so this should be pretty fun. Definitely enjoyed the first episode. After checking out nearly all first episodes for this seasons (aside from some I won't touch with a 50 foot stick), I think it's safe to say Yakusoku no Neverland hands down is the most interesting so far. Tate no Yuusha was much better than I expected, but knowing how the actual story goes it may just fall into the generic isekai formula. If it does, what a shame. If not, it could be something really enjoyable. Kaguya-sama was alright, but I have some high expectations as the manga itself doesn't really ramp up until like chapter 10ish or so.

tl;dr The things I'll probably be closely following this season are Yakusoku no Neverland, Tate no Yuusha, Dororo, and Kaguya-sama.

If it didn't cost twice the amount the manga itself costs to ship a volume over, I would actually buy the Neverland manga. Sadly I only have up to volume 3 in Japanese.
    Likes Simon liked this post

I heard 177013 is pretty good.
    Dislikes Simon, Bryan disliked this post

GOD DAMN IT KAREN

Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 364656 ... LastLast