User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast

Shakugan no Shana

MAL Link
    The world has become a slaughtering ground for the Crimson Denizens, mysterious beings from a parallel universe who thrive on the life energy of humans. These merciless murderers only leave behind scant remainders of souls called "Torches," which are mere residues that will eventually be destroyed, along with the very fact of the victims' existence from the minds of the living. In an ambitious endeavor to put an end to this invisible, hungry massacre, warriors called Flame Hazes relentlessly fight these monsters.

One fateful day, Yuuji Sakai ceases to be a regular high schooler—he becomes trapped in a crevice of time and is suddenly attacked by a Denizen. Coming to his rescue just in the nick of time is a nameless hunter who seems no different from an ordinary young girl except for her blazing eyes and burning crimson hair. However, before Yuuji can learn anything more about his situation, he discovers that he has already been reduced to a Torch—merely a scrap of memory waiting to be extinguished.
    Source: MAL

I'll be honest up front, this is my personal favorite anime of all time based 100% on pure enjoyment factor. Nevertheless, I do honestly think this was a good show. What first attracted me to the show was the premise itself. When I saw "Crimson Denizens", I was intrigued as I had not really see or heard of anything similar at the time. Also, the concept of people becoming "torches" and losing their existence was a very neat concept to a young me and I thought I'd give it a try.

As for the characters themselves, I loved them. I'm not normally a fan of love triangles, but the Shana/Yuji/Kazumi triangle was enjoyable to watch and not too cringey. It actually got me to dislike Kazumi not as a character, because of how she was interacting with those around her. Her intervention not only played a role in the primary love triangle, but also the relationships of the side characters as well. Speaking of side characters, they actually felt important as well. As the series goes on (maybe I'll review season 2 & 3 separately), we learn more and more about the involvement of these side characters in the world. Most of the characters in the story feel like they have purpose and, to me, it makes the world feel lively.

Story and characters aside, you can't ignore the music of this show. The openings and endings are all nice and enjoyable, but I want to highlight the first ending, Yowake Umare Kuru Shoujo preformed by Yoko Takahashi. I feel this song truly captures the essence of Shana as a character and the first half of the season extremely well. If you ever get a chance to find the OST for the first season, I highly suggest taking a listen. The battle scenes are intense and exciting, the casual moonlight scenes (these are important story wise as well) are so relaxing and it all blends very well together.

I tried my best to eliminate all bias when writing this review, and it really was hard. I actually had it to 9/10 at first, but taking a step back I do feel comfortable giving this an 8/10 and I find it to be very fair. This show truly is one of the greats within this genre and I highly suggest taking a look at it!

7/10
    Last edited by _MEGA; 01-26-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Definitely review Grave of the Fireflies, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Ghost in The Shell in the future -- even if you've already seen them. I'd love to see what you think of them, especially the second and third movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    Definitely review Grave of the Fireflies, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Ghost in The Shell in the future -- even if you've already seen them. I'd love to see what you think of them, especially the second and third movies.
    I've seen all of them. I'll add those to the list and get around to them eventually™.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

MAL Link
    In the dawn of the 21st century, magic, long thought to be folklore and fairy tales, has become a systematized technology and is taught as a technical skill. In First High School, the institution for magicians, students are segregated into two groups based on their entrance exam scores: "Blooms," those who receive high scores, are assigned to the First Course, while "Weeds" are reserve students assigned to the Second Course.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei follows the siblings, Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba, who are enrolled in First High School. Upon taking the exam, the prodigious Miyuki is placed in the First Course, while Tatsuya is relegated to the Second Course. Though his practical test scores and status as a "Weed" show him to be magically inept, he possesses extraordinary technical knowledge, physical combat capabilities, and unique magic techniques—making Tatsuya the irregular at a magical high school.

Although the plot is rather a generic setting we've seen countless times before, there was something a bit different from the get-go with this school battle fantasy harem magical life. That is an interesting and rather well developed main character who actually continues to grow during the show, or at least during part of it. Tatsuya (onii-sama), who is the main male protagonist, may have the lowest practical test scores, but his true potential lies in his knowledge and application. He quickly establishes himself as someone with amazing capabilities, but yet is composed and not out to claim glory. Even our female protagonist Miyuki can't get enough of her onii-sama!

As the story continues to progress, we start to learn more about the two siblings and their relationship with their family. Which, was rather stale and a bit generic for this setting. The main development happening for onii-sama is actually leading up to the multi-school competition. Good old onii-sama goes from being seen as the worst student in the school to one who can be relied upon and achieve great accomplishments.

Most of the other characters were rather bland and underdeveloped. Something of them may have some minor developments here and there, but they are not so much for themselves, but more for Tatsuya to grow. Even the story begins to fall out halfway through the series and gets a even a bit confusing near the end. I would say it was still fun enough to watch, but the transition from arc to arc was choppy. Almost as if they were on a time constriction.

But hey, for what it is, not really a bad show. Slightly better than average. In fact, if you are just getting into anime, this is probably a really good show to start with to help expand your viewing collection. I will admit, the initial introductions and character interactions are fun to start, but it just lacks some development all around which makes it rather bland towards the end.

6/10

Quote Originally Posted by _MEGA View Post
    Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

MAL Link

Although the plot is rather a generic setting we've seen countless times before, there was something a bit different from the get-go with this school battle fantasy harem magical life. That is an interesting and rather well developed main character who actually continues to grow during the show, or at least during part of it. Tatsuya (onii-sama), who is the main male protagonist, may have the lowest practical test scores, but his true potential lies in his knowledge and application. He quickly establishes himself as someone with amazing capabilities, but yet is composed and not out to claim glory. Even our female protagonist Miyuki can't get enough of her onii-sama!

As the story continues to progress, we start to learn more about the two siblings and their relationship with their family. Which, was rather stale and a bit generic for this setting. The main development happening for onii-sama is actually leading up to the multi-school competition. Good old onii-sama goes from being seen as the worst student in the school to one who can be relied upon and achieve great accomplishments.

Most of the other characters were rather bland and underdeveloped. Something of them may have some minor developments here and there, but they are not so much for themselves, but more for Tatsuya to grow. Even the story begins to fall out halfway through the series and gets a even a bit confusing near the end. I would say it was still fun enough to watch, but the transition from arc to arc was choppy. Almost as if they were on a time constriction.

But hey, for what it is, not really a bad show. Slightly better than average. In fact, if you are just getting into anime, this is probably a really good show to start with to help expand your viewing collection. I will admit, the initial introductions and character interactions are fun to start, but it just lacks some development all around which makes it rather bland towards the end.

6/10
    T.T one of my top 10 gets rated so low

you should review Hai to Gensou no Grimgar (grimgar of fantasy and ash)
    My theme song:

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Keeper View Post
    T.T one of my top 10 gets rated so low

you should review Hai to Gensou no Grimgar (grimgar of fantasy and ash)
    6/10 isn't low. Low is like, 2 or 3. It's slightly above average! I'll add Grimgar to the list and get to it eventually

Arve Rezzle: Kikaijikake no Yousei-tachi

MAL Link
    A cyber battle sci-fi. In 2022, the technology of quantum computing has greatly advanced and many people have transferred their mind into cyber space.

Remu's sister, Shiki, skipped grades and entered a high school in the academic city "Okinotori-island Mega Float City (OMFC)" when she was 14. One day, Shiki confessed to her brother via Skype that she was talking to him directly from the cyber space and that her real body had been kept in a water tank filled with a culture medium. It's called "body pool" and Shiki connected to the network by nanomachines implanted in her brain.

Remu was surprised but he accepted her decision until an accident called "Early Rupture" happened. The network server got overloaded and users' minds were lost in cyber space leaving soulless living bodies in the body pools. In order to bring Shiki's mind back, Remu visits her apartment in OMFC and there meets Shiki escaped from the hospital. But the girl tells him that she is not Shiki and she happened to have taken over Shiki's body.

When Remu tries to figure out the situation, a violent attack strikes the apartment.

What initially caught my attention with this movie was the plot and the genre. As a fan of sci-fi in general, I figured this would be right up my alley. That tied in with some alien-like sounding intervention sounded really cool. However, I got something rather unexpected and pretty disappointing.

This movie was rather poor all around. I suppose it's more of a short film only lasting about 25 minutes or so, but it was still very underwhelming. The characters were rather bland and boring which I wasn't too concerned about considering they only had 25 minutes to create these characters, but it's just another flaw. Nothing wrong with having characters created quickly as long as they are still dynamic enough to be interesting. Personally, I actually really like seeing these brother-sister like dynamics in a setting such as this. I find it opens a lot of potential story wise and with character development, but that chance appears to have been missed to me.

Aside from my dislike of the characters, the story, or lack thereof, was not that great either. It really felt like they were trying to force so much content into so little time. With only 25 minutes, the plot was really jumping all over the place and too many things were going on at once that seemed to have little or no context surrounding them. Even the world itself showed a lot of neat futuristic technology, but compared to what was actually used throughout the short film felt unimpressive. Granted, it was only 25 minutes, but I don't think it is something I would plan on revisiting....

2/10
    Last edited by _MEGA; 09-12-2016 at 11:56 PM.

Have you watched Ajin on Netflix?
    *insert brick wall of text here*

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Have you watched Ajin on Netflix?
    Not on Netflix, but I have seen it. I'll look into writing one for Ajin. I know there's a second season that will start airing soon. So maybe I'll get it out before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniston View Post
    Crap, Grave of the Fireflies made me cry. And I'm emotionally broken
    I am the seventh samurai of the second generation. My fight shall never end, in this life and the next.

=(e)= 20 December 2014
    =(eG)=
    =(eGO)=

Eagle Scout: 15 June 2016

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast