User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 414

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden View Post
    @_MEGA ily <3 this thread is #underrated
    Thanks

My feelings for you are an appropriate amount based on our limited interactions.
    Likes Simon liked this post

Rokka no Yuusha

MAL Link
    An ancient legend states that with the revival of the Demon God, six heroes—the Braves of the Six Flowers—will be chosen by the Goddess of Fate, granting them power to rise up against the fiends attempting to turn the world into a living hell. Adlet Mayer, self-proclaimed "Strongest Man in the World," has arrived at the continent of Piena in hopes of becoming a Brave. Although it doesn't go as smoothly as he had planned, Adlet is ultimately chosen as one of the six heroes shortly after being greeted by Nashetania Loei Piena Augustra, crown princess and fellow Brave.

Rokka no Yuusha follows the two as they embark upon their destined journey to fight the Demon God, intending to meet up with their fellow heroes at a small temple outside of the Land of the Howling Demons, the fiends' domain. However, when they finally unite, seven heroes are present, and soon the others begin to suspect Adlet to be a fraud. Now on the run, Adlet must utilize his unique skill set and wit in a fight for his life to identify which member of the group is the true impostor before it's too late!
    Source: MAL

Rokka no Yuusha is definitely one of the more unique shows, premise wise, that I've seen. Many shows have this concept of taking out some strong demon, adversary, or other. While that is mentioned, the show is actually not about taking out the Demon God at all. I think when many people watch this show, they seem to get that idea and end up confused or upset at the end. The show is, actually, about the group of six characters who are supposed to band together in order to defeat the Demon God. However, seven people arrive, meaning one person is not who they claim to be. This is more focused on the mystery of trying to uncover who among the group is lying and who can be trusted as opposed to an action fest of fighting demons.

The characters themselves are also a very diverse group. I think having numerous characters with all these different backgrounds and stories come together is even more important when, for 12 episodes, it's mainly the same set of characters for each episode. As the show goes on, we start to learn more about the backstory of each character, how they were selected to be a hero, and the events that shaped many of them into the people they are today. If anything, I would say this show really focuses a lot on world building and character interaction in order to tell its story. The characters play well off of each other and, in the midst of all the mystery and drama, small alliances form of who others begin to trust. Also, I'm not sure what it is about the character designs that I like, but I do like them quite a bit.

While this show definitely isn't for everyone, it was one I enjoyed a lot while it was airing. If by some crazy miracle a second season does pop up, I'd love to give that a watch as well. If you enjoy mystery shows that can get you thinking and surprise you, this is a good one to watch. If not, there really isn't too much you're missing by passing on this show.

6/10

Back again as it's that time of the season. Been a bit busy with grad school so I've sadly been neglecting this thread, but I have a couple of weeks off before my next class so I'll be trying to get a couple of more reviews out. Anywho, we're here to take a look at the spring season so let's get into it.

Spring 2019 Look-Back
    Keep in mind, this list contains shows I both completed or dropped after a few episodes, giving it at least a fair chance. Additionally, shows that span across multiple seasons are ONLY listed in the season in which they first aired. So, let's get into it.

Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai - Just another comedy school harem show. Nothing about this seemed special or really stood out to. Pass

Carole & Tuesday - We don't usually get music related anime these days without them being some what related to an idol group or having the theme being related to idols in some way. This is a nice break from that and the two titular characters are very charming. I was a little hesitant at first, but I'm incredibly glad I picked this up. The show has its ups and downs, but I've been enjoying every episode. Highly Recommended

Fairy Gone - Premise sounded interesting, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. How this got a second season approved already is beyond me. Hard Pass

Fruits Basket (2019) - A great re-adaptation of Fruits Basket. I am a fan of the original series and the manga, and I still find this work to be just as brilliant as the original. If you have seen the original, I would advise you not to let nostalgia blind you to how wonderful the new adaptation truly is. That's not to say the old one is bad by any means. Both are great and both can be enjoyed to their fullest. No reason we can't like both! Highly Recommended

Gunjou no Magmell - Tried a few episodes and dropped it. Still not really sure what this was supposed to be. Hard Pass

Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu - This was a bit of a dark horse for me. Had no idea what it was going in and I never heard of it until the season started. It's basically a moe blob and it's not by Doga Kobo AND it's done well. The show is simply just a cute, fun, and relaxing watch. I often played it in the background while cooking dinner. If you're into moeblobs or simply "cute girls doing cute things", this isn't one to miss. Even if you want a nice little comedy, I'd say go for it anyway. Recommended

Isekai Quartet - This isn't something I asked for, but I'm glad it exists I guess. If you haven't seen at least 3 or all 4 of the shows though, you might not really get why some scenes are funny. Recommended/Spinoff

Joshikausei - Big yikes on this one. Nope. Super Hard Pass

Kimetsu no Yaiba - Demon slaying action by ufotable. If you've seen anything by ufotable, you'll know that they really love to bring out detail and flare to their action scenes. And this show does not disappoint in that regard. Couple with an interesting premise, it's definitely a good show. Recommended

Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai - Thought the first couple of episodes were boring. 12 minutes an episode still felt too long for what was going on. Maybe half of that would have been better. Pass

Sarazanmai - A series by the man who brought us Mawaru Penguindrum and Yuri Kuma Arashi. For those who don't know, that's Kunihiko Ikuhara. The works he directs are filled with vivid colors and some pretty crazy things going on. However, it's not just fun and games with the visuals. The story brings the show full circle to be one hell of a ride. Highly Recommended

Senryuu Shoujo - Another short that aired this season based on a manga I've been following for quite some time. Definitely a nice little 12 minute short to watch. It's nothing too deep but was enjoyable.Recommended

Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san - Doga Kobo moe blob show. Not sure why this one in particular blew up so much on reddit, but it did. If moe blobs aren't your thing, this is safe to pass.

Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 - It's Attack on Titan. Everyone and their mother seems to watch this these days. I do like that season 3 is getting back to more of what made the first season popular. More action on the titans and a bit dialed back on the political aspect. I think the political aspect works great in the manga, but doesn't really translate well to the anime. Recommended

Shoumetsu Toshi - Not really sure what Madhouse was thinking with this one. Pass

_MEGA's Anime of the Season Spring 2019 Pick: Sarazanmai

The only other show I would consider for this position this season would be Carole & Tuesday, but sadly the two most recent episodes took that away. And with Sarazanmai having such an incredible and satisfying ending, I don't know how I could give this to anything else. From the music to the voice acting and characters, Sarazanmai really made me feel immersed in the show while I was watching it. Granted I do have a slight bias towards Ikuhara, but I do honestly believe this was the single greatest work this past season. It's definitely a crazy but very enjoyable ride.
    Last edited by _MEGA; 06-30-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi

MAL Link
    Kazuma Hoshino is preparing himself for a new stage of his life as a teenager. Because of his brother Ayumu’s weaker than average health, their parents thought it best for the family to move out from the city to a more rural environment. Now the two brothers are off to the Yorozuyo Inn where they’ll be staying until their parents can settle affairs back in the city and set up their new home.

Their arrival to the inn doesn’t go as planned though when they catch the wrong bus, wind up in the middle of nowhere, Ayumu gets his hat stolen by a wild monkey, and Kazuma gets lost in the woods trying to track the animal down. It all leads to a chance encounter with a spirited young girl named Ui, who Kazuma ends up accidentally falling onto and kissing while she tries leading him back to the bus stop. This hardly sits well with Ui’s friend Ibuki who swiftly kicks Kazuma and sends him on his way. Much to Kazuma’s continued horror, his bad luck is perpetuated at the inn thanks to its landlady Senka and her slightly perverted sense of humor, and then finding out that two of his classmates are the girls he embarrassed himself in front of back in the woods!

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi finds Kazuma adapting to his new school, dealing with the multiple women who have entered his life, providing emotional support for his younger brother, and coping with living with his new landlady. However, for some reason, something about this place is bringing whispers of the past into Kazuma's mind. Small flashes back to a more innocent time and a friendship long forgotten. What could this déjà vu mean?

If you made it through the summary, congratulations. You basically just read, more or less, the synopsis to most harem anime out there. Especially those based on visual novels as this one is. The story begins, of course, with the stereotypical guy falling onto the girl misunderstanding, but turned up to an 11 as opposed to just a 10. Well, I guess that really depends on your own opinion of the gimmick. Honestly, I think it's just a lazy gimmick and there are definitely better ways to get characters to meet each other, but oh well it's a staple for these types of series so I digress. Outside of the love triangle/polygon that forms from the misunderstanding to everything else, not much happens as you'd expect. It's just your standard run of the mill ecchi harem school anime.

The characters themselves aren't too interesting either. Nothing really separates the characters in my mind while watching the show except for their physical appearance. Mainly hair color, eye color, and height. Outside of that, the characters don't really get developed, so when different events play out, I don't really care because I never really got to know the character, so I don't really know why they are happy or sad at this particular event. Granted, it's a harem show so outside of the main heroine other characters hardly get developed anyway in these types of shows.

Visually, it looks just like any other generic cookie cutter harem show that, to me, doesn't have something unique that makes it stand out. For example if you watch this, you've basically already seen Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka, To Heart 2, or any of the numerous Da.Capo series. I'm not really big into visual novels, but seeing that all of these come from visual novels, and looking at visual novels such as Kanon or Clannad, it's pretty easy to see where improvements could be made, but that's a topic for another thread I suppose.

Anywho, overall, definitely a good show to pass. It has some nice and cute moments here and there, but I'm glad Doga Kobo (the studio) seems to be sticking to the pure moe blob shows these days where they don't have to worry about story.

3/10

I do like talking about shows like Hoshizora. Especially ones that I think helped me sort of formulate my own opinions and taste in anime over the years. This show especially I do recall being bad when I watched it while it was airing. When this show came out, it was actually around the time I started watching anime that was currently airing as opposed to only shows that were already completed. So it's a nice little nostalgia trip for me personally. I think shows I watched when I first started to watch anime, such as Black Lagoon, and the first shows I watched while currently airing both hold some nostalgia for me in different ways. While look at some older reviews, I saw my Yumekui Merry review. That as well was one of the first airing shows I watched. Maybe I'll go back to around that time and pull some other shows, like Gosick and Infinite Stratos, and get some reviews for those going. Have a nice, but bumpy, trip down nostalgia lane.

I've been thinking of checking out Carole and Tuesday. Thanks for the always great seasonal look backs MEGA!

Nichijou

MAL Link
    Nichijou primarily focuses on the daily antics of a trio of childhood friends—high school girls Mio Naganohara, Yuuko Aioi and Mai Minakami—whose stories soon intertwine with the young genius Hakase Shinonome, her robot caretaker Nano, and their talking cat Sakamoto. With every passing day, the lives of these six, as well as of the many people around them, experience both the calms of normal life and the insanity of the absurd. Walking to school, being bitten by a talking crow, spending time with friends, and watching the principal suplex a deer: they are all in a day's work in the extraordinary everyday lives of those in Nichijou.

Nichijou, literally meaning everyday/ordinary life, is probably one of the best slice of life anime in the past decade. Nearly every episode had me laughing for a good majority of the time, and some of the scenes will definitely leave a lasting memory at the very least. As you can tell by the description alone, there's a lot of crazy stuff going on, and the intensity at which it plays out is what makes this show so entertaining.

I'd love to comment on the story, but as a true slice of life, there really is no major overarching story. We are simply taking things day by day with each character and getting a glimpse into their crazy lives. Seeing how the diverse group of characters interact with each other and the world is part of the humor in the show. From Mio to Hakase to Yuuko, every episode almost feels like going on a wacky adventure not knowing how things are going to turn out.

Honestly, that's pretty much all you need to know about this show. It's not a show with a deep story or characters that will move you. It's not designed to be that type of show in the first place, so comparing it to shows centered around dramas is silly. However, when compared to the slice of life pool of anime that is filled with moe blobs and, often times, very forgettable entries, Nichijou remains to be one people still remember and talk about. And it's been about 8 years since its release!

Definitely one of the few comedy series I think everyone should watch. Regardless if you like anime or not, Nichijou really is a fantastic show that sets out to be a funny and crazy ride, and it definitely delivers . I wouldn't quite go as far as calling this a masterpiece, but it's pretty damn good that's for sure.

Because this isn't a parody series like Lucky Star that requires you to understand anime from the years leading up to Lucky Star (which those newer to anime most likely haven't seen), it's incredibly easy to just jump in and have some laughs. I highly suggest checking this one out if you haven't yet.

9/10
    Likes Simon liked this post

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 414