User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 111 ... LastLast

Default _MEGA's Anime Reviews

Hey there everyone! As the proud leader of the anime division, I thought it would be fun to bring you some reviews of the many shows I've watched, numbering well into the hundreds, maybe nearing the thousand mark here soon.

Through this thread, I will bring numerous series of anime to you in the form of reviews, recommendations by genre, and even how to get started on your own anime adventure. Many of the reviews will simply be a short description of what I thought of the show. Good elements, bad elements, music, and so on. Length may vary per show, but expect 2-4 paragraphs on average. Additionally, there may be minor spoilers in the reviews. Also, expect a lot of shows to be in that 4-6 range!

If you have any series you'd like to see reviewed, simply leave a comment (or PM me) and I can try to get around to it as soon as possible! Keep in mind, a single cour (12/13 episodes) has, generally, 24 minute episodes. So a single series alone does take roughly 5 (10 if 24-26 episodes) full hours and some change to complete, assuming I am allowed to give in to my human need of food and water. Also, if you have any questions related to anime, such as my favorite waifu, favorite OTP, favorite character from a show, opening etc just ask!

Keep in mind, these reviews are based on my opinion of the anime as a whole, and it is based on the criteria I look for in an anime. The main points you will see highlighted often are: Story, characters, music, and possibly art. Although I don't take it into consideration too often in the score, there is nothing wrong with enjoying an anime that is bad. Just because something is bad, that does not mean you can't enjoy it! I do ask that you respect my opinions and if anime is not your thing, there are many other threads that can suit your needs! As this is an anime related thread, please keep the posts related to the topic at hand. Thank you!

Basic outline of scores:
    10~Masterpiece
    9~Excellent
    8~Very good
    7~Good
    6~Decent
    5~So-so
    4~Not really good
    3~Weak
    2~Bad
    1~Awful

P.S. I am shamelessly stealing Sexy Beast's idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexy Beast
    Go for it man. You have my blessing
    Just click on a show to go to the review for it!
    Titles in bold signify 8/10 or above.
    ./#:

11eyes

A:

Arve Rezzle: Kikaijikake no Yousei-tachi

B:

Black Lagoon
    Blood Lad

C:

C

D:

Da Yu Hai Tang
    Dragonaut: The Resonance

E:

Elfen Lied

F:

Fruits Basket

G:

Gokukoku no Brynhildr

H:

Hand Shakers
    Hibike! Euphonium
    Hoshizora e Kakeru Hashi

I:

Ishuukan Friends.

J:

Joukamachi no Dandelion
    Juuni Kokuki

K:

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
    Katanagatari
    Kemono no Souja Erin

L:

Love Hina

M:

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
    Minami-ke

N:

Nerawareta Gakuen
    Nichijou

O:

Omamori Himari
    Ookami Kodomo no Ame no Yuki

P:

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!

Q:

R:

ReLIFE
    Rokka no Yuusha

S:

Sakasama no Patema
    Shakugan no Shana
    Shinsekai Yori

T:

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

U:

Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Movie)

V:

W:

W Wish
    White Album 2

X:

Y:

Yumekui Merry
    Yuyushiki

Z:

Seasonal Look-Backs:
    Summer 2017
    Fall 2017
    Winter 2018
    Spring 2018
    Summer 2018
    Fall 2018
    Winter 2019
    Spring 2019
    Last edited by _MEGA; 08-27-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Hi, I'm Medviah. I like mystery anime. Please keep in-mind, we will be going over a lot of older anime as we are currently at the beginning of the season
    Last edited by Medviah; 07-15-2016 at 02:52 AM.

ReLIFE

MAL Link
    The story follows Kaizaki Arata, a 27-year-old jobless man, who fails at every job interview he had after quitting his last company. His life changes after he met Yoake Ryou of the ReLife Research Institute, who offered him a drug that can change his appearance to 17-years-old and to become a subject in an experiment for one year. Thus, he begins his life as a high school student once more.
    Source: MAL

This show centers around the life of Arata Kaizaki, a NEET who has just recently lost his job, has been cut off from funds by his parents, and is in a rather sticky situation. He is approached by Ryou Yoake who offers him a chance at ReLife, a program in which he is able to repeat a year of his life, specifically his last year of high school. This is his second chance. A change to start again.

Everyone always says high school is the greatest time of your life, but they also say that about university. Nevertheless, Arata returns to high school, but is it not overly excited to be back in class. He returns as a transfer student in his third year (the last year in Japanese high school education), a bit nervous about making some friends as they have all been together for two full years. Although, he reminds himself that he is 27 years old, so a full decade older than the rest of the students, so any affectionate relationships are out of the question.

Arata is thrown into this group of high school students, not exactly sure of what to do, how to communicate, or even how to properly behave. He quickly begins to grow closer with some of the students, even becoming friends with a handful of them. Now reliving his high school life, he faces the struggles of relationships, studying, fitting in, and just about anything else you would think of that high school students would deal with. The story is beautiful and it just feels so real compared to other shows in this genre. A lot of the scenes, especially the drama, I though was written fantastically and only a couple of moments felt like they would fall under the "forced drama" umbrella.

Throughout this show, there are two things (aside from the beautiful story) that really study out to me. The characters and the voice acting. The characters and their interactions with each other has such depth and realism to it, it's incredible. In fact, the relationship and development between two of the characters, Rena and Honoka, is almost identical to an experience a close friend of mine went through during our high school days. And the voice acting was phenomenal. You can tell the seiyuus are putting their heart into these lines with the emotion conveyed. When a character felt sad, I could hear it in their voice. I could hear their happiness. Voice acting on a level such as this really helps you (or me at least) connect with the characters and immerse me in the show.

Overall, I found this show to be absolutely beautiful. I was not expecting to enjoy this show as much as I did, or at all even. However, once I started I couldn't even stop. I had to marathon all of the episodes in one sitting and I was glued to the screen the entire time. I am even tempted to start picking up the web comic this is based on simply because I couldn't get enough. I would love for a second season, but we need more content first! Truly a gem.

8/10
    Last edited by _MEGA; 06-27-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Dragonaut: The Resonance

MAL Link
    Twenty years prior to the story's beginning, an asteroid headed for Earth destroys Pluto. Due to Pluto's destruction, the asteroid, which is dubbed Thanatos, becomes temporarily stagnant. Now, in order to avoid Earth's impending destruction, the International Solarsystem Development Agency (ISDA) works on the "D-Project", and creates the "Dragonaut" after finding a dragon egg under the ocean. This weapon's primary purpose is to destroy the asteroid when the time comes. However, they soon find out that the asteroid is not their only threat, as powerful dragon-like creatures, which are bent on destruction, appear on Earth.

After witnessing a murder by one of the creatures, Jin Kamishina, a lonely 18-year-old boy who lost his family in a shuttle accident two years ago, gets involved in the mysteries of the dragons and becomes the chosen pilot of the Dragonaut. Helping him on his journey is Toa, a mysterious girl who saves him from falling to his death after the creature attacks him. As they get deeper into the mysteries of the dragons, they encounter new friends and enemies, and also begin to develop a closer relationship.

The summary from My Anime List does a pretty good job explaining the general plot, so I will leave that there so this will be a bit shorter of a review. But the basis is that after the destruction of Pluto, "dragons" start to appear and humans can resonate with a dragon and become it's partner in battle. These dragons take on a human form, but can become a mecha-like suit for their partner to ride in when it is time to battle. But worry not, our poor MC gets sucked into this crazy world where nothing makes sense.

Jim Kamishina (the MC) encounters a dragon named Toa with him he starts to build a relationship with as they have resonated together. Everything that happens to these two characters through the story is out of placed and clearly forced drama. A second dragon joins the love triangle for Toa's affection. Toa is constantly a damsel in distress despite her power, and all of the characters are doing their own thing for 90% of the show, there's no clear path or goal anyone has than to just run around doing nothing. There's nothing wrong with that, but when your planet is being invaded by a species trying to actively hunt you down and kill you, you should be a bit more worried.

The story aside, the characters are roughly as poorly written. There's no real development for any of the main characters, but instead some of the side characters get a nice 12-15 minute dialogue where we get to learn about them. Outside of them, all of the characters are just a mystery and left unexplained. Also, the love triangle that is introduced, as mentioned previously, is solely there to create needless drama. If there was ever a time I wanted the power of love to fail more than ever, it was in this show.

1/10
    Last edited by _MEGA; 06-27-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _MEGA View Post
    Dubs are scary
    Case in point Satima...

Quote Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
    Same reason you leave wadded up tissues around your room...

I have to personally thank you both, Without this I wouldn't have watched ReLife, So far it's been amazing and doesn't show any signs of getting worse, Thanks once again and i'll remember to keep coming back to see if I want to check any of these out again!

=(e)= 20 December 2014
    =(eG)=
    =(eGO)=

Eagle Scout: 15 June 2016

Love Hina

MAL Link
    Keitaro Urashima promised a girl when he was young that they would meet up again at Tokyo University in the future. Sadly, in the National Practice Exam, Keitaro ranked 27th from the bottom. Knowing his grandmother owned a hotel, Keitaro intended to stay there while continuing his studies for Tokyo U, only to find out the hotel had long been transformed into an all-girls dormitory. Through an odd twist of fate, Keitaro eventually became the manager of the dorm, beginning his life of living with 5 other girls.

Love Hina is, among the harem world, one of the most known titles. And with good reason. Although the anime starts off as any other generic harem, what comes from it is so much more. The story progression and character development over the course of the show matures very well allowing the viewer to connect with the characters. Of course, it wouldn't be complete without the 5 beautiful girls living with Keitaro!

The main focus of the story is the promise Keitaro made with a girl from his past, who we later find out is Naru Narusegawa. Their promise, to meet again at the university level, does not go exactly as planned, thus giving Keitaro these awkward encounters with these girls and of course, a chance to pursue and develop his relationship with Naru!

The overall plot and development may progress in a similar way to most harems, but if you had to watch one, I would definitely suggest going with Love Hina. The execution is what really separates this, in my opinion, from most of the other harems out there. A nice heart warning story with some charming characters.

6/10
    Last edited by _MEGA; 06-27-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Page 1 of 14 111 ... LastLast