User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Default Tips for Noobs :)

Didn't see a post about this so thought I might post it to help new comers to the game

I'm only a level 22 but I play with Gold/Plat friends every now and then so they give me tips, explain stuff, and teach me in customs. Almost 99% the time I get my butt kicked by them but the only way to learn is to play against people who are better than you. Learn from your mistakes and also pay attention to the other player(s) play style and use it against them.

Some of these things may be a "duh" thing but it's good to go over them anyways
    Also, I'm pro at paint

Laning as ADC/Mid/Top:
    - Your job as ADC/Mid/Top is to get as much cs and damage as possible.
    - CS refers to creep score aka minions killed. The more cs you have the more gold you have and with more gold you can buy items. You only get gold from "last hitting" aka dealing the killing blow to a minion.
    - To cs you "last hit" the minions meaning let your minions dwindle down the enemy minions then when their low enough you hit them to get the cs
    - Minion waves begin to spawn at 1:30 and spawn every 30 seconds after that. Each minions wave consists of 6 minions, 3 melee and 3 ranged. By 10 minutes 106 minions have spawned with 100 having been in lane so a good amount of cs is 80 with minimal poke/jungle ganks going on. Of course this will change pending how your lane is going so the best thing to do is to try and stay ahead in cs of your enemy.
    - Try not to be over aggressive so your minions aren't constantly on their tower but control your lane at the same time. Your minions constantly on their tower is actually denying you cs which is bad because that's denying you money. If this does happen poke their tower unless it's unsafe and you end up getting poked by the enemy or even taking hits from the tower because towers hurt lol
    - If they're over aggressive let your jungler know to camp your lane or have mid come and gank every once and a while, there's no shame in you needing help and no one more than an aggressive player gets mad if they're getting camped.
    - If they're passive snowball the lane. Snowballing means more of their minions/creeps in lane than yours
    - If they know what they're doing and csing like a boss try to stay in good positioning and poke them but be cautious of you getting poked and ask the jungle for a gank just to throw them off their game and gaining control of the lane.
    - If they don't know what they're doing then snowball the lane but don't get over aggressive to draw a lot of attention to your lane.
    - If you're dominating a lane take advantage of the cs.
    - If you're getting out cs ask your jungler for a gank.
    - If you're getting completely outplayed ask your jungle to camp your lane. If your jungle doesn't camp your lane then don't be an idiot.
    - Once you have a good amount of cs around 120 then you can start to push the lane and take the enemy team's tower.
    - If you play Top you may need to get entirely tanky if your Jungle isn't a tank such as Nocturne. 80% of the time you build damage and health items unless you're playing a champ such as Teemo but keep in mind it's good to have a tank and an off-tank. For example: Your Jungler is Maokai (tank) but your Support is Sona (squishy), play a champ such as Renekton, who you can buy damage/health items as the game goes on such as a Frozen Mallet if playing a mana-less champ or and Iceborn Gauntlet if playing a mana dependent champ.
    - Kills are great, but kills aren't the name of the game. The name of the game is cs/towers/inhibitors/dragon/baron, not necessarily in that order. That doesn't mean to just hit a tower/inhibitor and take hits from the enemy team but don't be over zealous, no kill is worth dying for even if that player is worth like 400g because you may have gotten 400g and shut them down but they also just gained more gold.
    - If you're Mid place wards in the mid bushes. **See Buying Wards for more information**

Laning as Support:
    - Your job is to support the ADC by either healing, using cc (crowd control) on the enemy for your ADC to poke them denying them as much cs as possible or even getting a kill for your ADC/Jungler. With some champs you can do all of the above.
    - Try not to take kills as 90% the time a fed ADC > fed Jungler > fed Support. Stuff happens, it's not the end of the world so say sorry or mb (my bad) and hopefully it'll be forgiven.
    - Don't take cs period. If your ADC went back to base to buy or heal if needed, judge if you can take cs or if your ADC will be back in time to get it.
    - Buy wards to get vision of river to avoid ganks from river and ward "tri" bush to prevent ganks from the jungle.
    - Always keep your wards refreshed. A good rule I was told was to buy 2 wards when you go back to base. This doesn't include dying. Wards last 3 minutes. Sight Wards cost 75g but buying a Vision Ward allows you to see enemy wards which can then be destroyed. A destroyed ward grants the killer 25g so if you destroy a ward the Vision Ward essentially cost you 100g as Vision Wards cost 125g so judge if one is needed or not.
    - A Sightstone (holds 4 ward charges, only 2 allowed to be placed at a time and refreshes to 4 charges upon returning to base) is well worth the money as it will save you money in the long run.
    - As Support you won't gain as much gold as everyone else but this is typical so don't be freaked out when you see your ADC with boots and an item and you only have boots and half an item. Remember, you've been buying a minimum of 2 wards each time you went back to base.
    - To help keep up in gold (not entirely), after putting 8 points into the Utility Masteries on your Mastery page you can then put 4 in Greed which will grant you an extra 2 gold per 10 seconds. Getting an assist on a kill also grants gold.
    - Later in the game you could buy an Oracle's for 400g which grants you, and your team, vision of Wards around you (not sure the radius) as well as any enemy who have a stealth ability such as Rengar's ult, Kha'Zix's ult and Teemo's mushrooms/himself >.<
    - Buying wards as Support is a must. Wards save lives and can control the game.
    **See "Buying Wards" for more information and image placement of wards.**

Jungling:
    - Your job as a Jungle is to make sure each lane isn't getting wrecked, ganking to avoid a lane from being wrecked and getting the lane kills.
    - Ganking means to blind side the opponent either from coming in from "tri" bush behind the enemy, the side from river even lane ganking coming in from your team's lane.
    - Jungling someone who has good cc such as Amumu, makes ganking more successful as you have now prevented the enemy from moving/slowing them down such as Olaf's Axe, for the laner to pick up a quick kill.
    - Monsters spawn at 1:40 and Buffs spawn at 1:55. They have a 5 minute respawn time from when they're killed.
    - There are different jungling routes for champs who start at Blue such as Fiddlesticks vs champs who start at Red such as Shyvana. Normally a champ who isn't dependent on mana starts at Red where a mana-less champ starts at Red.
    - Blue Buff increases mana regen and cooldowns. Red Buff burns enemies causing more damage.
    - Generally if starting at Blue you go Wolves, Blue, Wraiths, Red then Golems getting help from Mid and Top on damage if on Blue Side and if Purple Side get help from Mid and Bottom. Also they need to watch for an invade, enemy team coming to steal the Buff and possibly a kill, by Mid watching Middle connector and Bot/Top watching Blue Buff ramp.
    - Generally if starting at Red you go Golems, Red, Wraiths, Wolves and if Mid wants Blue give it to them if not lower ability cooldowns. Get help from Mid and Top on Golems and Red Buff on damage if on Blue Side and if Purple Side get help from Mid and Bottom. Also they need to watch for an invade, enemy team coming to steal the Buff and possibly a kill, by Mid watching Wraith Ramp and Bot/Top watching "Tri" Bush.
    - If invading generally go thru Middle to cut the enemy team off from being 4v5 or 3v5, depending what side you're on. If invading from Top/Bottom you risk the chance of their team getting away and going to your Buff.
    - If you invade wait until 1:40 as that's when the enemy team will start to do Wolves/Golems
    - Keep track of Buffs, Dragon and Baron timers. Turning on Timestamps in the Options in game is a great way of keeping time when the Buff, Dragon or Baron will be back up. If you killed Blue Buff at 2:16 you know it takes 5 minutes for it to respawn so type in "7:06 blue" while moving to next camp. Give yourself 10 seconds to get to your camp. If you killed Dragon at 14:54 type in "14:34 drag" and give your team 20 seconds to get to Dragon.
    - Save your Smite for securing Dragon and Baron when it's going to be needed. Smite scales up in damage as the game progresses due to monsters, Dragon and Baron gaining more hp and damage.
    - If you Jungle someone such as Kha'Zix you could steal Dragon/Baron in style! Ult in, Smite to secure kill then hop back out over back of wall. There are a couple of champs who can pull this off but most need Flash to get back out or to go in such as Tryndamere who can spin in, Smite then flash back over the wall. It's a pretty dirty move and lolz worthy but the global gold is usually worth it even if you die as your entire team just got gold and only one person of the enemy team got gold. I think that's the only case in where dying is actually worth it...
    - If possible and if safe steal their Wraiths. People leave one small Wraith so the other jungler has to kill it before it respawns again but I'm not a huge fan of that. Why leave a Wraith if you're planning to steal it again!?
    - Ward the enemy team's Wraiths. This let's you know if their jungle has already taken them, if their jungle is at them and also allows your team (especially Mid) vision of the jungler. **See Buying Wards for picture of ward placement.**

Here's a picture of the general routes, placement for defending and possible ways to invade:
    Blue is routes from Blue Side starting from Blue Buff, switch it and you got starting from Red Buff except Golems then Red Buff if starting Red Buff. Blue circle is Blue Buff.
    Purple is routes from Purple Side starting from Blue Buff, switch it and you got starting from Red Buff except Golems then Red Buff if starting Red Buff.
    Green is possible ganks from Blue Side
    Red is possible ganks from Purple Side. Red circle is Red Buff.
    Yellow circle is Wraiths.
    Orange circle is Golems
    Brown circle is Wolves

Dragon and Baron:
    Dragon originally spawns at 5 minutes then every 6 minutes between deaths. Controlling of Dragon is crucial because killing Dragon gets your entire team an extra 190g and the killer an extra 25g making 215g. The killer of Dragon and Baron should be the Jungler using Smite to finish it off.
    If the enemy is trying to take it and if you feel confident your team can force and win a fight then go for it.

Baron originally spawns at 15 minutes and 7 minutes between deaths. Getting Baron can be a turning point in the game. Baron gives you, and your team, a boost (buff) to all of your stats giving you a great advantage over your opponents. Just like Dragon, if the enemy team is getting Baron and if you think you can win the team fight then go for it.

Warding Dragon and Baron:
    Place a ward in front of Dragon allowing you vision of both River and Dragon. Once/if your jungler has a Wriggles use that ward, if not use a Vision Ward (preferred) or a Sight Ward or if your support has a Sightstone then you can also use one of those charges.
    When getting Dragon with your team pull it out to the front of the pit for a quick escape if needed. You don't want people trapped inside the pit because if the enemy team comes in late then they're screwed unless they have some type of escape over the back wall of the pit preferably not using flash.

Start warding Baron around level 12 with 5 wards if on Blue side and 4 wards if on Puple side. Laning phase should be over so your support should have a Sightstone (Refreshes 4 ward charges upon standing on base, but only 2 can be placed at a time), that's 2 wards right there if they haven't used up all 4 charges. If your jungler has Wriggles Lantern (Indefinite wards but has a cooldown of 3 minutes after use) it's preferred to be placed at Dragon but if it's up and you're going for Baron then that's 3/5 "free" wards costing only 200g (125g for vision and 75g for 1 sight) vs a cost of 425g (125g for vison and 300g for 4 sight) or if on Purple side a cost of 200g vs 350g (only 3 Sight Wards instead of 4 needed)

Warding for Baron if you're on Blue Side, looking "up" on map:
    - Vision Ward on the inside front of Baron. This allows you to see any enemy wards inside of Baron and any wards on the outside front of Baron that you can destroy
    - Sight Ward in "tri" bush, the upper left bush of Baron that looks like a T
    - Sight Ward in the left bush of mid
    - Sight Ward in the bush by their jungle wraiths
    - Sight Ward on the path behind Baron pit
    These 5 placed wards allow vision of the enemy if they're going to Baron or if they're coming to contest.

Warding for Baron if you're on Purple Side, looking "down" on map:
    - Vision Ward on the inside of Baron. This allows you to see any enemy wards inside of Baron and any wards on the outside front of Baron that you can destroy
    - Sight Ward by their Blue Golem
    - Sight Ward in the left bush of mid
    - Sight Ward in the bush mid connector bush
    These 4 placed wards allow vision of the enemy if they're going to Baron or if they're coming to contest.

Here's a picture of the ward placements for Baron and Dragon:
    Green is bushes
    Blue are Sight Wards
    Pink are Vision Wards
    Orange is Wriggles Lantern Ward

Buying Wards
    I decided to make this part separate from Support because it's not just for Support it's just in general knowledge.
    - Everyone should pitch in a ward or two after the "laning phase". This takes some gold troubles off your Support and gets you a huge advantage of vision. When you buy these wards place them in strategic places around the map like at Red buff, Wolves, Wraiths (if run out), choke points such as the bush(es) behind Blue buff and Red buff. Use common sense when placing them basically.
    - Wards can make or break a game.
    - DO NOT go into the jungle or wonder off if you don't know where the enemy team is! If you die your team will most likely /facepalm or rage at you and no one likes that.

Here's a picture of Ward placement:
    Pink are wards Support (Bottom of map) and Top (Top of map) need to place
    Teal are optional wards that can be placed
    Red are wards the Jungle needs to place
    Yellow are wards Mid needs to place

Team Fights:
    This is a "duh" thing but you want your tank to be the initiator taking the most damage, and your damage dealers to be taking less of the damage. Though this is practical it isn't as easy as it sounds (if people know what they're doing) so having an initiating tank that has great cc (crowd control) such as Malphite, Alistar and Cho'gath is a must. You could have someone who has a lot of hp and high damage initiating if your tank isn't there but don't expect to win the fight if you don't have enough cc and damage.

In a Team Fight:
    - Have your tank initiate. Like I said before, a tank with great cc is optimal.
    - Kill their main damage dealer, usually the ADC, as fast as possible. If their main damage dealer is able to be peeled (outcast-ed) then go for the rest of the group. Peeling works very well if you are able to have someone come from the side and single them out such as Xin Zhao and Lee Sin or even global ult in from behind such as Twisted Fate or smack dab in the middle such as Pantheon.
    - If you're the ADC be aware of who on the enemy team isn't there and if they can peel you off. Let your team immediately know that someone is missing if they haven't already pointed it out. If that person is visible on the map due to being in a lane or wards but not where the team fight will be, you should be ok as long as they don't have a global ult like I mentioned above. Also be cautious if the person has Teleport as a Summoner Spell as they could Teleport in on a Ward or one of Teemo's mushrooms >.<

Positioning in a Team Fight:
    - As the tank you obviously want to be smack in the middle taking the front damage and using your defensive items such as a Randuin's Omen.
    - As melee (generally Top/Jungle) you want to go in like 1 second (if that) after the tank initiates. Get to where you can reach their ranged champs, ADC and most of the time their Mid, but also try to defend your ranged champs. If you have someone who can kill and peel off the ADC then that just made your job easier. It's hard to position as melee if don't have a cc ability such as Darius where you can pull their entire team into you screwing up their positioning.
    - As ranged you can pretty much sit anywhere in the back. Some ranged have a shorter range than others but at least you're further away than their melee.
    - It's hard to watch your positioning in a team fight to be most effective so try to position before the fight. If the enemy team is coming then get into a position where you'll ready to be most effective.
    - If you're at Dragon/Baron and their team comes to contest it stop attacking it and focus on them and recheck where you are and where your team is. If you won't have time to get with your team and you'll be picked off then you didn't position yourself right or you didn't pay attention to where your team was. Your team dying due to a 3v4 situation then your team asking/raging where you were is your fault for having to run and not getting picked off. Man/Girl up and admit you were out of position.

I think I covered most of everything. If I missed something post and I can add it. If something needs revised don't slam it down just explain as to why it's wrong and what the proper thing is.
    I'm still learning myself as I believe most of us are
    Last edited by Mack702; 05-18-2013 at 07:41 PM.

There are a couple variations to the things you pointed out and a few things need to be added, but this will definately be helpful for the new guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Spathika View Post
    There are a couple variations to the things you pointed out and a few things need to be added, but this will definately be helpful for the new guys.
    I'm going to guess variations about clearing Jungle if you're starting at Red and the ADC getting Golems and then you starting Wraiths. Another way if you start at Blue is Wraiths, Blue, Wolves, Wraiths, Red but that's for certain champs and not going to go into detail about each champ who jungles and what they are capable of clearing before getting their starting Buff

What needs to be added ^.^

Best tip ever: Do not think you're playing WoW and try to use the 1-4 keys instead of q,w,e,r in a team fight.
    https://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic31537_12.gif

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDJ View Post
    Best tip ever: Do not think you're playing WoW and try to use the 1-4 keys instead of q,w,e,r in a team fight.
    only scrubs do this DJ

I named my baby "bass", so i can drop it and it would be alright.
    =(eGO)= Sephiroth | EC | #KBMOD: 1v1 меня IRL

Thanks! I'm only level 10 but the one thing that made me good was to avoid death. That was like my major objective

Good starter's guide Mack. I had no clue you played LoL. We should play some time.

I started back up a few week ago after about 3-4 month break.

Quote Originally Posted by @Spetsnaz View Post
    Good starter's guide Mack. I had no clue you played LoL. We should play some time.

Join the edge-gamers chat room in league. You can find a few of the eGO members that play in there.

Quote Originally Posted by @Spetsnaz View Post

Ya when I get bored of Minecraft I turn to LoL or WoT then when I get bored of those I turn back to Minecraft

Whatever game I'm playing I'm in those Ventrilo channels so if you see me in the LoL channels and want to play hit me up

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast