User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should we disable no-crits & no-spread on VM for Quickplay?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 55.81%
  • No

19 44.19%
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dy1an View Post
    We dont just need idlers, just the other day it was me and crazywolf alone on valve maps surrounded by pubs, server was filled to the brim and it was a riot but there just werent enough members online to keep it going for as long as we wanted. This is ridiculous since just a few weeks before this 90% of players on valve maps were members and the non-member player base was just a handful of awesome regulars, now we have a server thats 90% pubs after someone puts in just a little bit of effort to fill and i dont even know where my fellow valve maps supporters are.
    Here I am! Everytime I get home from college I'm on and trying to get people to fill it, we manage to keep it full for a few hours then it starts to die down again and then I need to get to bed so I can't keep playing and getting more people to join.

Quote Originally Posted by oey192 View Post
    I was told that making the plugin in question involved accessing some lower level things than are allowed by source mod and so Spidey was not legitimately able to make the plugin. Valve does not like things that circumvent their rules on the quickplay system.
    I received a similar answer/confirmation from spidEY. The only way to have QuickPlay is to remove the no crits & no spread.

Quote Originally Posted by WyrmMage View Post
    Id be idling all the time if My universities internet didnt suck so much that I cant even find servers. It doesnt even show them in the server list.
    Have you tried idling using GamingRobot's textmode_tf2 file? A console window shows up, you click 4 (for Valve Maps), and you'll be running TF2 in console mode.
    But you didn't have to cut me off
    Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
    And I don't even need your love
    But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough

Now I'm just somebody that you used to know

All right, so far, people seem to favor keeping the no crits and no spread instead of the Quickplay. This is understandable, since a good number of our members like competitive gameplay, and Valve Maps is the our only server that can offer this.

However, if this is the case, we need to put more effort in keeping this server active. Remember, you can idle during the night if you're busy with school and/or work. If you cannot for reasons beyond your control, that's understandable.

For those of you who are already idling and playing on the servers whenever possible, you have my sincerest thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazoo View Post
    Have you tried idling using GamingRobot's textmode_tf2 file? A console window shows up, you click 4 (for Valve Maps), and you'll be running TF2 in console mode.
    I am no good at using the console commands. I would need someone to talk me through it in order for me to understand. Also the respawn time on the server can be up to 15 seconds for me sometimes, is that supposed to be normal? At university I cant even find servers in the server list, they dont show up, so i dont know if i could even connect via gamingrobots idle thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dy1an View Post
    We dont just need idlers, just the other day it was me and crazywolf alone on valve maps surrounded by pubs, server was filled to the brim and it was a riot but there just werent enough members online to keep it going for as long as we wanted. This is ridiculous since just a few weeks before this 90% of players on valve maps were members and the non-member player base was just a handful of awesome regulars, now we have a server thats 90% pubs after someone puts in just a little bit of effort to fill and i dont even know where my fellow valve maps supporters are.
    Dylan, I try to go when I can but I also have other things I have to do.... I am not able to be on tf2 until 6 pm most days because I cant connect. I try to get on but as stated the university must be blocking the servers or something... I have to work on labs and other things and when I get home I usually dont want to idle on a server, I want to PLAY on a server, which is why I go for whichever server has around 6-12 players on it so i can help fill it and have a good time. I only get 3-4 hours if im lucky, and i have to factor in distractions and other things....

Quote Originally Posted by WyrmMage View Post
    I am no good at using the console commands. I would need someone to talk me through it in order for me to understand. Also the respawn time on the server can be up to 15 seconds for me sometimes, is that supposed to be normal? At university I cant even find servers in the server list, they dont show up, so i dont know if i could even connect via gamingrobots idle thing.
    Follow the instructions in GamingRobot's Idling Tip thread. If you still have trouble, ask him or me for help.

Also, I have been watching Valve Maps' GameTracker page today. Thanks to everyone who played and filled the server this evening.

Unfortunately, now we are back to no players. We have 5 idlers right now (myself included). If you can't play right now, feel free to idle. Remember, using Gaming's idling tool keeps the game running at minimal cost.
    Last edited by Kazoo; 01-31-2012 at 11:21 PM.

just thought i'd put this out here.

Kazoo might wanna copy the code for this in your original post.

Quote Originally Posted by GozGallz View Post
    just thought i'd put this out here.

Kazoo might wanna copy the code for this in your original post.
    You know, I knew about that image. Yet it hadn't occurred to me to put it in the first post.

Thank you for the suggestion! :D

Also, it brings me joy to see people are on right now. (Of course, five of us are idlers, but that's not the point. Hehe.)

Edit: Of course, 20 minutes later, the server pretty much empties out to just the idlers... Why is it so hard to keep this server full?
    Last edited by Kazoo; 02-01-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate View Post
    I believe Quickplay is already on there even with no crits and no spread. Spidey made a plugin so that it could work together.
    Valve has been blacklisting servers that try and cheat the quickplay system. So we are currently just using the cvars. Just check the sv_tags here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazoo View Post
    Also, it brings me joy to see people are on right now. (Of course, five of us are idlers, but that's not the point. Hehe.)

Edit: Of course, 20 minutes later, the server pretty much empties out to just the idlers... Why is it so hard to keep this server full?
    Whoops that posted before I was ready. I was going to say:

In all honesty, there could be a lot of reasons the server doesn't stay full. Perhaps it empties because the map changes to something the current crew doesn't like. Perhaps they don't like the number of idlers - I've seen comments along the lines of "I hate servers that do this" and "how is this any different than bots?" Maybe they, like a lot of us, only have a limited time to play. Maybe they're not as competitively-minded as the rest, and they decide after a while they don't like no-crits and no-spread. Lots of things could be contributing, and there's no one solution that will solve them all, I think.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 02-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    "It is often better not to see an insult than to avenge it." - Seneca

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast