Policy 102 – Use of Force
Los Santos County Sheriff’s Department
Standard Operating Procedures
Sheriff Michael McCarthy | Undersheriff Tyler Stock | Assistant Sheriff Cowboy Tram
Policy 102 – Use of Force Procedures
This policy sets standards for the use of force by Los Santos Sheriff deputies in the line of duty.
Use of Force:
1. Los Santos Sheriff deputies will use only reasonable force to accomplish lawful objectives. Lawful objectives include effecting an arrest, preventing escape, preventing injury, preventing damage to property, and maintaining or restoring order. Officers will never use force to punish an offender.
2. A deputy may use deadly force only when the deputy reasonably believes that the action is in defense of human life, including the deputies own life, or in defense of any person in imminent danger of serious physical injury.
3. The Department will not tolerate unreasonable or unnecessary use of force.
4. There is no requirement to use levels of force in sequence or to directly match the behavior of the subject. For example, if a deputy arrives on scene, witnesses a suspect stabbing a victim with no hesitation upon the deputies arrival, a deputy may be justified in using lethal force. Once the violator has complied and become cooperative, the escalation of force by the deputy must cease.
5. Deputies will not strike or attempt to strike individuals who are handcuffed or who have been otherwise sufficiently restrained unless such person is attempting to kick, bite, or otherwise assault the deputy and the deputy cannot otherwise reasonably avoid such assault and still carry out the deputies assigned duties.
6. Firearms are not to be discharged from any moving vehicle or at any moving vehicle except when necessary in the defense of the deputies life, or the life of another person. When jeopardy is no longer present, deputies may not fire from or at any moving vehicle.
Last Updated: 12/23/2017
Return to Main Page